29th November 2020

Yeovil Town’s FA Cup journey came to an end on Sunday afternoon after a 3-2 extra time defeat to Stockport County.

After taking the lead twice through Matt Warburton and Luke Wilkinson, Yeovil produced an improved display from last week’s outing against Hartlepool United. 

Ultimately the hosts continually battled back, eventually netting the winner in extra time through Connor Jennings. 

Darren Sarll rang the changes from the Hartlepool defeat, with five changes to the Glover starting 11.

Adam Smith held his place in goal, but there were returns for both Carl Dickinson and Josh Staunton in the back four alongside Luke Wilkinson and Alex Bradley.

Charlie Lee returned to the side following a suspension, in a midfield three with Matt Warburton and Albi Skendi.

Sarll opted for a three-pronged attack with the returning Chris Dagnall joining Courtney Duffus and Joe Quigley up front.

That change in attack would come into great effect just one minute in, an quick breakaway via Quigley dropped the ball to the feet of Warburton who drilled an effort on goal which flew beyond Ben Hinchcliffe via a deflection.

The goal forced Stockport to come out fast, which they did lofting the ball into the box on multiple occasions but doing little to really A.Smith in the Yeovil net.

New signing Dagnall should have put Town two-up on 15 minutes with the ball dropping kindly to him on the edge of the six-yard box, a strong hand from Hinchcliffe denied the Glover number 34. 

Stockport continued to attack with width but little cutting edge with Town enjoying the better openings, vocal hand ball shouts from Lee and Warburton were waved away by the referee, much to the Stockport defence’s relief. 

Despite enjoying a positive half, the game always felt like it was on a knife-edge with Stockport finding the leveller on the stroke of half-time. Following a foul by Lee on Ryan Croasdale, Rooney stepped up and comfortabley dispatched to level the tie.

At the break, Yeovil were the more disappointed of the two sides to be going into the half level. 

The hosts bright end to the first half continued into the second, with Jim Gannon’s side looking increasingly threatening, but like the first half possession rarely turned into chances.

Stockport’s sole chance of the early period of the second half fell to Adam Thomas who saw his stinging shot well saved by A.Smith

Looking increasingly threatening on the break, Yeovil found a way infront once again this time through Wilkinson on 70 minutes. After Warburton’s deep corner made it to the back post, the former Luton man emphatically headed home to restore the advantage.

The goal did little to dampen Stockport’s spirits, as the hosts pulled one back just moments later on 75 minutes. Rooney’s deep free-kick was lofted to the back post where a queue of Stockport players were waiting, with Ash Palmer the most active to scramble home the leveller.

After vocal claims for a penalty in the first half, one finally came Town’s way as Quigley was hacked down inside the box. Earlier goalscorer Wilkinson stepped up to take bugt Hinchcliffe produced a fine save down to his left to keep the game level.

Despite late pressure, Yeovil could do little to make amends for the penalty miss as extra time loomed.

Extra time saw the game really turn in Stockport’s favour following a three week break between fixtures. The hosts made this advantage count on 101 minutes as Jennings leaped higher than his marker to head home what turned out to be the winner.

Following the goal, the fresh legs of Gabby Rogers made Town’s best opening as he burst through on goal, but ultimately did little to test Hinchcliffe. 

After a long battle, Town’s Cup journey came to an end.

It’s a quick turnaround for Yeovil with Eastleigh visiting Huish Park on Tuesday night. 




Yeovil Town: A.Smith; Dickinson, Staunton, Wilkinson, Bradley (Leadbitter); Lee, Skendi, Warburton (J.Smith); Quigley, Duffus (Rogers), Dagnall (Murphy). 

Bookings: Bradley, Wilkinson

Subs not used: Palmer, Murphy, Burke, John, Rogers, J.Smith