6th October 2012

Yeovil Town finally ended their recent sorry run of results with a 3-1 victory over Colchester United at Huish Park this afternoon.


A double from debutant Paddy Madden and a third from James Hayter gave the Glovers their first three point haul since September 1st and was their second over the U’s already this season having already dumped them out of the Capital One Cup in August. The result lifts the Glovers up three places to thirteenth in the table and gives them the ideal boost ahead of Tuesday night’s local derby against Torquay United in the Johnstone’s Paint Trophy.


Manager Gary Johnson reacted to the bad run by returning to a 4-4-2 formation and going two up top including new loan signing from Carlisle United, Paddy Madden who only joined the team on Thursday. He, the returning Ed Upson and Sam Foley came in to bolster the attacking options with Reuben Reid and Dominic Blizzard dropping to the bench and Byron Webster missing out through suspension.


With all the changes in attack, it was one of the players to keep his place that the first chance. Keanu Marsh-Brown found himself through on goal but never looked comfortable on his left foot and his shot lacked any power. At the other end, Marek Stech smothered an effort from Jabo Ibehre but the big forward had already been flagged offside.


The first twenty minutes saw Colchester spraying the ball around nicely but no pressing with any real conviction except for a pulled shot from Sanchez Watt that didn’t trouble Stech.


Almost immediately the Glovers took the lead against the run of play. Korey Smith, impressive all afternoon in midfield, put a lovely through ball to James Hayter but keeper Mark Cousins saved his toe poked effort from close range. The ball squirmed out to Paddy Madden who sidefooted home the opener on his debut.


The lead lasted less than five minutes though. Influential midfielder Marcus Bean shook Upson off in midfield and played the ball out wide to Michael Rose. His low cross to the back post was pulled back by Gavin Massey for Ibehre to finish into an empty net for his third goal in three games.


To their credit, the hosts didn’t let the goal affect them and after Sam Foley directed a header wide, they retook the lead on 33 minutes. Joe Edwards, revelling in his right back role, chipped a pass to the centre of the goal; it was only partially cleared to Madden who let it drop before volleying home with his right foot to make it 2-1.


Colchester had just two more sightings of goal as the half closed but Anthony Wordworth’s shot soared out of the ground and Ibehre’s sliced shot endangered the assistant referee more than Stech in the Yeovil goal.


The second half began brightly and continued in the entertaining vein of the first period. Smith smashed a shot against the crossbar within two minutes of the restart and Brian Wilson curled a beauty against the bar three minutes later at the other end. The half then took a rather scrappy turn with Upson booked for taking out Tom Eastman and Madden poleaxed by former Glovers favourite Michael Rose.


Daniel Burn headed an Upson corner wide and Madden had two more opportunities to grab a sensational debut hat trick but Cousins denied him both times.


With twelve minutes remaining, Yeovil sealed the game with their third goal and a beauty it was too. Jamie McAllister dinked the ball over the advancing right back and crossed low to the near post for James Hayter to finish well for his fourth goal of the season. It sparked the “baby rocking” celebration started by Brazilian star Bebeto as the Yeovil striker became a dad during the week.


The closing ten minutes offered no more chances for either side and a game handled well by referee Stephen Bratt ended in a victory for the home side.