14th August 2012

Yeovil Town got the new season off to the perfect start with a convincing 3-0 victory over Colchester United in the Capital One Cup First Round at Huish Park this evening.


A first half double from defender Richard Hinds was added to by a late goal from substitute Keanu Marsh-Brown as Gary Johnson’s men began in the same prolific fashion they had completed pre-season in.


And the Glovers will now eagerly await news of who they’ll face in the second round in tomorrow’s draw.


The Glovers got off to a flying start when they took the lead in the third minute. Ed Upson swung in a corner and after Colchester failed to get rid of it, Richard Hinds smashed a volley in for Yeovil’s first goal of the 2012/13 campaign.


Upson then nearly set up Reuben Reid with a slide rule through ball but an assistant referee’s flag, raised belatedly, denied the striker who shot at keeper Mark Cousins anyway. Upson’s midfield colleague Sam Foley then fed Gozie Ugwu in the right channel but the attacker hit a rising shot well wide of goal.


Colchester tried getting back into the game and forced three corners in as many minutes but home keeper Marek Stech dealt well with Anthony Wordsworth’s inswinging deliveries. Ian Henderson’s left foot drive was all they had to show for a first half hour devoid of openings.


That there was just that one chance for the visitors was due to the ball constantly being pinged around at the other end of the pitch by the lively home attackers. James Hayter was set up by a lovely bit of inter passing by Reid and Upson but his fierce shot was parried by Cousins for a corner.


Foley then saw Cousins tip over his curling shot on 25 minutes and the same player was denied twice by desperate defensive blocks as John Ward’s men tried to stay in the game.


Ten minutes later, Drey Wright hit a shot way over in a rare sight of goal for the U’s and they also saw Stech parry a rising drive from Wordsworth away for a corner while at the other end, Reid’s low firm shot was gathered by Cousins comfortably.


As the half time kettle began to boil, Yeovil were awarded their sixth corner and from Upson’s perfect delivery, it was that man Richard Hinds again who produced a blinding bullet header to double the Glovers lead.


The second period began with Stech producing a truly brilliant save to deny Tom Eastman’s drive but it was a rare chance in the first twenty minutes of the second half. Yeovil’s only opportunity fell to Reid whose weak left foot shot on the turn didn’t trouble a grateful Cousins in the U’s goal..


Manager Johnson made a double switch on seventy minutes as the game dulled somewhat. Ugwu, injured moments before in a tackle, and Hayter were replaced by Keanu Marsh-Brown and Lewis Young, both making their competitive debuts for the Glovers.  


And it was the former who made a wonderful introduction to his Yeovil debut with the third goal on 77 minutes. The home defence cleared the ball setting up a three-on-three attack with Reid at the spearhead and the ex-Oldham forward laid a lovely ball into the path of Marsh-Brown who dinked the ball over the advancing keeper delightfully.


The third goal was the spark for a special ten minute period where Johnson’s men were rampant. After Stech had once more come up with a fantastic save from Andy Bond’s shot, Reid played a one two with Young but the latter’s effort was blocked; then Nathan Ralph, on for Foley, saw his blistering drive tipped on to the crossbar by Cousins for another corner.


Town played some wonderful attacking football and fully deserved their three goal margin.