27th January 2021

Yeovil Town fell to a disappointing 4-2 away defeat against Maidenhead United on Wednesday evening.

Albi Skendi was the bright spark for Town, scoring twice in what was largely a night to forget for the Glovers.

Despite Yeovil taking the lead, the hosts were good value for their victory, especially in the second half where they largely held Terry Skiverton’s visitors at arm’s length.

With Darren Sarll at home with his family due to a positive COVID-19 test, it was assistant manager Skiverton took the reins for Yeovil Town in Berkshire.

The former Glovers captain opted for Adam Smith in goal, with Alex Bradley, Max Hunt, Charlie Lee and Carl Dickinson in front of him.

The midfield saw a return for Jimmy Smith who had been nursing an injury over the Christmas period. He started alongside Matt Worthington, and Josh Neufville in the middle of the park.

Moving forward, it was a three-pronged attack for Town as Albi Skendi began just behind Joe Quigley and Reuben Reid.

With both sides starved of football over recent weeks, the game was unsurprisingly timid throughout the opening stages.

Unfortunately for Town, makeshift centre back Lee’s evening only lasted 12 minutes as he was replaced Lee Collins due to an injury.

The night did improve for Yeovil as on 19 minutes, Town struck first. Skendi hammered home his third goal in four games from just inside the 18-yard box following J.Smith’s chipped pass.

With the wind in their sails, Town looked for a second, and it almost came on 24 minutes as Dickinson hammered the crossbar with a wayward cross. 

Despite the visitors positive play, Town were caught napping on 31 minutes as Maidenhead equalised. Capitalising on the substitute Collins’ mistake, Danilo Orsi fired the hosts level. 

Neither side had quite done enough to claim the lead in the first half, but the second told a very different story. Maidenhead came out the traps fast as Manny Parry added the hosts’ second on 50 minutes, heading beyond Smith at the back post. 

Two became three for Maidenhead on 70 minutes, as Dan Sparkes fired a spectacular effort beyond A.Smith to double the Magpies advantage.

Yeovil would huff and puff, and ultimately find a way back into the game just four minutes later through the always-bright Skendi, after he met Bradley’s cross and slotted the ball home. 

Although Yeovil pressed hard, the hosts were able to put the game beyond doubt in the 90th minute. After a handball in the box, Orsi slotted home from the spot for his second goal of the evening as the Glovers fell to their first defeat of 2021. 


Yeovil Town: A.Smith; Dickinson, Lee (Collins), Hunt, Bradley; Smith, Worthington, Skendi, Neufville (Knowles); Reid, Quigley (Murphy)

Bookings: Skendi, Worthington, A.Smith

Subs not used: Dagnall, Kelly