30th January 2021

Yeovil Town put in a performance that was matched by the result with a 3-1 victory over Dover Athletic.

Despite falling a goal down, Yeovil’s character shone through with Joe Quigley’s goals either side of the half turning the game on its head.

Substitute Rhys Murphy added the cherry on the top of the cake as the game came to a close to secure a strong victory for Darren Sarll’s Yeovil.

With an injury hit squad, Sarll was forced to rotate his Yeovil Town side.

Adam Smith continued as Yeovil’s mainstay in goal. Michael Kelly made his debut at left back alongside Lee Collins, Max Hunt and Alex Bradley in the defence.

Matt Worthington and Albi Skendi began centrally for Town with Josh Neufville and Tom Knowles marauding down the flanks.

Reuben Reid and Joe Quigley maintained their place in the starting lineup.

As the two sides looked to find their rhythm, it was Dover who settled the fastest, causing early havoc from set plays.

On 13 minutes, this pressure would pay dividends as Ade Azzez turned the ball home from the edge of the six-yard box to claim the lead for the visitors.

The goal did little to spark Yeovil into life who looked largely disjointed in the opening stages.

Similarly, to Dover, Yeovil’s best chances as the half progressed came from set-plays. With Carl Dickinson suspended, the taking duties fell to new signing Kelly.

The most notable chance from a dead ball situation came after Josh Neufville was fouled on the edge of the box in the 38th minute, however Kelly’s drilled effort struck the Dover wall.

As the half drew to a close, it looked as if Dover were going to see the half out, but Yeovil found their goalscoring touch late. A well weighted ball from Bradley found Reid bursting into the area, as he was surrounded by red shirts, the experienced forward flicked the ball into Quigley’s path to level the game.

The second half began in polarising fashion to the first, with the hosts comfortably on top, enjoying a lot of possession in the Dover half.

With what was the Glovers first chance of the half, they had their second of the game through Quigley once again.

Knowles was the bright spark for the green and whites, especially in the second half, thrusting the play forward with his quick dribbling. He went close himself on 67 minutes, but his effort was just wide from the edge of the box.

As legs were tiring, Sarll looked to his bench for fresh impetus, and he got that in abundance from Murphy who scored just twenty seconds after coming onto the pitch, hooking Neufville’s cross into the top corner to extend Town’s advantage.

Murphy continued to cause havoc, after an incisive breakaway, the number nine was hauled down in the box to earn Yeovil a penalty, Quigley stepped up to seal his hat-trick but a fine save from Oliver Webber denied Yeovil’s dangerman.

Despite a late push from the visitors, the Glovers held firm to secure three points at Huish Park.


Yeovil Town: A.Smith; Bradley, Collins, Hunt, Kelly; Worthington, Neufville (Warburton), Knowles (Dagnall), Skendi; Reid (Murphy), Quigley

Bookings: Bradley, Collins, Neufville

Subs not used: J.Smith, Evans.