28th February 2021

Young Glovers round off their South West Alliance League campaign with a home defeat against the Pilgrims.

Following a tough 3-2 loss to leaders Oxford in midweek, the Young Glovers returned home to face local rivals Plymouth. Setting up with a 4 – 3 – 1 – 2 formation, Yeovil were instantly up against it with the Plymouth striker seeing his goalbound shot expertly beaten out by Smalley in the first five minutes.

Deprived of suspended captain Medrano, Yeovil struggled to contain the pacy Argyle front line and fell behind on 15 minutes when a dubious looking penalty was coolly dispatched to make it 0 – 1.

The Pilgrims continued to press high up the pitch giving the Glovers little time to play on the ball and a deserved second goal came in the 20th minute courtesy of a fast break down the right. Smalley saved the initial shot from close range but the follow up was smashed home to make it 0 – 2.  

Yeovil did create some half chances in attack; Constanza shooting over from 15 yards and Hughes seeing a chip palmed wide for a corner, but it was Argyle who nearly extended their lead when a fine shot from 20 yards smashed against the post in the 40th minute. Hughes saw a stinging shot well saved, but the half finished with a comfortable lead for Argyle.

Head Coach Mark Challen made a change to start the second half with Crane moving up front to replace Shock, but it was Plymouth who had the best of the early exchanges and Guppy was called upon to make a fine block. Aborra and Guppy were combining well and created a couple of useful openings; Guppy seeing a shot blocked and then Aborra taking on defenders with a mazy run before seeing his shot drift wide.

The Glovers best opportunity came in the 65th minute when Crane chased down a pass but couldn’t keep his feet as the keeper spilled the ball in the collision; shouts for a possible penalty came to nothing. Constanza and Andrews were working hard in midfield as Yeovil dug in and put up a second half fight. In the 70th minute Skiverton came on for the tireless Stephen and Hughes dropped back into a holding midfield role.

The final ten minutes saw a flurry of substitutions from both sides, but it was Plymouth who extended their lead in the 83rd minute when a deft flick crept in at the far post, 0 – 3. Substitutes Lye and Crane had chances to reduce the arrears, but it was Argyle who fashioned the final goal after a well worked move to make the score 0-4 at the whistle.    


Next up a midweek cup game at Exeter.

The South West Alliance League then splits into a restructured Merit League. More details to follow.