4th September 2020

Yeovil town claimed a comeback victory with a 1-2 win over Frome Town.

Second half goals from Albi Skendi and Carl Dickinson cancelled out the hosts’ stunning first half effort for a first victory of pre-season.

After confirming his signature that day, Darren Sarll gave a first start to loanee Daniel Leadbitter at right back. Josh Staunton, Lee Collins and two trialists completed the back five with a trialist between the sticks behind them.

The Town midfield featured Lawson D’Ath as he stepped up his injury recovery, alongside Jimmy Smith, Gabriel Rogers. Courtney Duffus lead the line alongside a trialist.

Yeovil Town began on top, forcing the play and dominating the ball in the middle of the park. It was almost an early lead too as a brilliant clipped pass from Rogers in the second minute was met by D’Ath but his effort on the half-volley was the wrong side of the post.

Just eight minutes later, the Glovers would come close again, an acrobatic effort from J.Smith, who donned the number 10 shirt for the first time, was parried into the path of Duffus who forced an excellent save from the Frome number one.

Against the run of play, the hosts would pull ahead with a stunning strike from the edge of the box.

This wouldn’t knock the wind out of green and white sails, as Yeovil kept pushing with a number of attempts from J.Smith and D’Ath blocked by the Frome backline.

Like at Stratford, the second half brought a major overhaul, with a completely different eleven to the side that started.

Adam Smith returned between the sticks, with Dickinson, Luke Wilkinson, Alex John and a trialist ahead of them.

The midfield comprised of Jack Clarke, Matt Worthington, Charlie Lee, Skendi and a trialist.

Rhys Murphy lead the line on his own.

The second half saw the Glovers pile on the pressure, with chance after chance falling to the visiting Green and Whites.

Murphy would be involved in a number of them, the best being set up by the midfield trialist who expertly dragged the ball into his path.

Yeovil would eventually level through recently crowned ‘Supporters Player of the Year’ Albi Skendi. The powerful midfielder drove beyond the Frome midfield and hammered the ball into the roof of the Frome net.

The final minutes saw added impetus, and it would eventually lead to a goal in bizarre fashion. A Dickinson cross took a heavy deflection which saw it sail above the Frome Town goalkeeper, awarding Town a deserved lead.

The game would be played on the edge in the last ten minutes, with a number of cynical challenges put in by the hosts as they were left chasing shadows.

Ultimately, it would victory for Town, who now look ahead to a trip to Weston-Super-Mare next week.