3rd October 2020

Yeovil Town opened the 2020/21 season with a 2-2 draw with King’s Lynn Town in Norfolk.

Second half strikes from Luke Wilkinson and Courtney Duffus were not enough for Yeovil as the visitors continually pegged Town back in controversial circumstance.

Calls for both handball and offside were waived away by the match officials and ultimately saw the hosts snatch a draw.

As his second season as Yeovil manager began, Darren Sarll went with a side full of experience, especially in defence with Adam Smith, Dan Leadbitter, Lee Collins and Carl Dickinson all starting.

The midfield four comprised of Charlie Lee, Josh Staunton, Matt Worthington and Jack Clarke, with Rhys Murphy and Courtney Duffus combining up top.

The hosts began the brighter of the two sides, but the experienced Glovers back line held strong largely limiting the Linnets to efforts from set-pieces and outside the box.

The best chance of the first half fell to Murphy in the 19th minute, after being sent through on goal, it looked almost certain last year’s top scorer would open his account for the year but the number nine fluffed his lines at the final moment.

King’s Lynn best chance actually came through a Yeovil player as Wilkinson’s clearance flew narrowly over Adam Smith’s goal.

As a rather drab first half came to a close, Murphy had one more chance to open his account, but his first-timed effort was easily collected by Alexander Street.

With the first half being defined as drab the second half was far from that as Yeovil lead within two minutes.

A brilliant free kick from Carl Dickinson was met by Wilkinson who made no mistake by powering his header home.

Just moments later a set-piece would prove dangerous as Dickinson’s free kick could only force a corner.

King’s Lynn’s substitutions changed the complexion of the game, and it would prove effective in the 77thminute. Despite a handball in the build-up Dale Southwell tapped home the leveller in controversial circumstance.

Duffus would have thought he had snatched it for the Greens in the 81st minute as he hammered home Yeovil’s second following a sublime pass from Lawson D’Ath.

But it wasn’t victory for Yeovil as Adam Marriott levelled for King’s Lynn in the 87th minute, poking home at the near post to earn the Linnets a share of the points.

There no time for the Glovers to rest on their laurels as the games come thick and fast with Wealdstone visiting Huish Park on Tuesday night.


Yeovil Town: A.Smith; Leadbitter, Collins, Wilkinson, Dickinson; Lee (Burke), Staunton, Worthington (D’Ath), Clarke (Smith); Duffus, Murphy

Subs: Palmer, Burke, D’Ath, J.Smith, Rogers


King’s Lynn: Street, Jones, Brown, Smith, McCauley, Richards, Jarvis, Kelly, King, Southwell, Power.

Subs: Mair, Marriott, Barrows, Hawkins, Carey.