16th February 2019

In a game that saw the first 20 minutes pass as something of a non-event, Rovers netted with the game’s first chance when Junior Mondal broke the deadlock. 

Swinging the pendulum of momentum in favour of the Gloucestershire outfit they doubled their lead on 32 minutes when Christian Doidge converted from a corner.

Proving dangerous from set-plays it was 3-0 on 58 minutes when Lee Collins was on hand to finish another George Williams delivery.

Making the short trip up the M5 to Nailsworth, Darren Way made just two changes from the side that started at Oldham Athletic on Tuesday. 

Having sat out the last three games, Nathan Baxter was recalled between the sticks in place of Stuart Nelson whilst Craig Alcock returned from suspension to take Matt Worthington’s spot at right-back. 

With both sides looking to end disappointing recent form it was a tepid start to proceedings with the opening 10 minutes passing without note. 

On a pitch far from ideal for free-flowing football the scrappy start extended to the midway point of the half, until Mark Cooper’s side broke the deadlock with their first meaningful attempt on goal. 

Patient play led to Carl Winchester finding space for a shot in the box and although his effort was blocked, it fortuitously fell into the path of Mondal who lashed into the back of the net from close range. 

Buoyed by the opener the hosts began to dominate at the New Lawn with something of a monopoly on possession, as the visiting green and whites struggled to earn territory. 

As the game ticked past the half-hour mark Town were issued a warning when Nathan Baxter had to tip Doidge’s looping header over the bar, before he went one better minutes later. 

Penning the Glovers in, Williams’ second corner in quick succession was whipped into the near post where nine-goal man Doidge was on the move to head home and tighten their grip on the match. 

Slow to get going, chances began to flow for the side in green and black as Baxter was again called into action to block Williams’ well-hit shot from the angle before moments later Reece Brown fired wide of the target as the break approached.

Desperate to take something positive from a disappointing opening 45 minutes the visitors almost reduced the deficit with a flurry of late chances.

A positive run from Bournemouth loanee Alex Dobre ended with a curling strike that had to be tipped behind by Lewis Ward, quickly followed by Francois Zoko forcing a save by the legs of the home stopper from close range. 

Ending brightly, Jake Gray then saw a looping strike come back off the woodwork but the two-goal disadvantage was to remain. 

Keeping the same intensity after the restart, Way’s side looked to press for a lifeline and offered signs of encouragement. 

Alex Fisher had a flicked effort saved whilst Dobre saw a venomous drive from 25 yards deflected wide of the target, as early territory was enjoyed. 

However, not ready to surrender their two-goal cushion the hosts went up through the gears and were soon back on the offensive. 

Baxter had to be on his toes to claim Gavin Gunning’s flicked strike from a corner before a set-play proved to be Town’s undoing for a second time just before the hour-mark. 

Williams’ corner delivery this time went to the back post where Collins was free to seemingly put the game beyond doubt. 

Having conceded two goals in two minutes at Oldham in midweek, history almost repeated itself in Gloucestershire but for Baxter to brilliantly palm away Williams’ driven strike from 20 yards. 

Needing a miraculous turnaround at the New Lawn both Rhys Browne and Ryan Seager entered the fray, but it was Dobre who went close to reducing the deficit when his strike from an Alcock cross was headed off the line by Farrend Rawson. 

Ticking towards the final 10 minutes a final roll of the dice was made as Courtney Duffus replaced Fisher, but the refreshed attack couldn’t alter the afternoon’s outcome as a sixth consecutive defeat was confirmed.

Forest Green Rovers: Ward; Winchester, Gunning, Rawson, Mills (McGinley 66′); Collins (Liddle 78′), Digby; Williams, Brown, Mondal (McCoulsky 71′); Doidge.
Bookings: Collins 16′.
Subs not used: Thomas, Reid, Godwin-Malife, James.

Yeovil Town: Baxter; Alcock, Mugabi, Gafaiti, Dickinson; Arquin (Browne 57′), Pattison, Gray, Dobre; Fisher (Duffus 75′), Zoko (Seager 66′).
Bookings: Gafaiti 51′, Dickinson 76′, Alcock 84′.
Subs not used: Nelson, Worthington, Rogers, Abrahams.