22nd September 2020

In what seems to be the final Glovers game in front of supporters at Huish Park for some time, Yeovil’s defensive duo were amongst the unlikely goalscorers in a 3-0 win over Bath City.

Goals at either side of the half from Josh Staunton and Luke Wilkinson were enough to ensure victory a strong advantage over Jerry Gill’s Romans.

Albi Skendi added the Glovers third adding a more familiar name to the scoresheet.

Darren Sarll opted for a strong team to impress the Glovers faithful in attendance. Adam Smith began between the sticks with Dan Leadbitter, Staunton, Wilkinson and Carl Dickinson in front of him.

After a successful experiment against Dorchester, a midfield five returned for Yeovil with Charlie Lee, Lawson D’Ath, Jack Clarke, Skendi and Jimmy Smith all starting. The lone forward for Yeovil was the towering Courtney Duffus.

Once again, it was the midfield five which began brightly, with D’Ath having multiple efforts from the edge of the box fly narrowly off-target.

The best chance of the opening stages fell to J.Smith in the opening stages as he was picked out in the box by an inch-perfect Dickinson cross. The former Crawley captain did well to adjust his body but couldn’t quite get the power to beat Will Henry in the Bath goal.

The game hit a lull as the 30th minute rolled by, with chances few and far between for either side.

After controlling the majority of the ball but with little cutting edge, Town found a way to strike ahead. D’Ath’s chipped cross was met by an unmarked Skendi who saw his touch fall perfectly for Staunton to hammer home his first goal in green and white!

At the break, Yeovil held a narrowly lead, something that on the ebb and flow of the game was deserved.

The second half saw an electric start, as Wilkinson joined his defensive partner amongst the goals in the 48thminute. Like Staunton’s in the first half, Wilkinson’s effort had just too much power on it for Henry to save as he struck beyond the Bath City goalkeeper from the edge of the box.

Bath went close in the 55th minute as Tom Smith burst on goal, however he was adjudged to be onside after striking the post for the visitors.

Yeovil continued to push to extend the advantage, and in the 68th minute did just that through Skendi. A powerful run saw the midfielder find space to shoot on the edge of the box, emphatically finding the bottom corner with a sublime finish.

Some positive pressure from the Yeovil trialist almost saw Town escape through on goal after Henry’s heavy touch was latched onto, however the substitute’s touch just escaped him as the ball slid out of play.

As substitutes entered the fray the game largely lost its tempo, with chances drying up for both sides.

Ultimately it would be a win for Town, with the Huish Park faithful treated to a strong performance from Darren Sarll’s side.

With an uncertain future ahead, Scott Priestnall will issue a further update this Friday on current club matters.


Yeovil Town: A.Smith; Leadbitter (Heaton), Wilkinson, Staunton, Dickinson; Lee (John), J.Smith, D’Ath (Rogers), Clarke, Skendi; Duffus (Trialist).