15th May 2021

Tom Knowles’ quickfire double sank King’s Lynn as Yeovil Town returned to winning ways at Huish Park.

Two first half goals built a comfortable advantage for Town, before the visitors pulled a goal back from the spot.

Late in the day, Emmanuel Sonupe opened his Yeovil Town account, slotting home to secure the points were Yeovil’s

Darren Sarll opted for a return to the 4-3-3 formation. Adam Smith began in goal, whilst Carl Dickinson and Luke Wilkinson returned to the defence alongside Billy Sass-Davies and Michael Kelly. 

Charlie Lee began the deepest of the midfield three alongside Lawson D’Ath who made his first start since a long injury lay-off, whilst Chris Dagnall continued in the midfield role he has thrived in. 

Reuben Reid began as a lone striker with Josh Neufville and Knowles flanking him. 

The switch back to the 4-3-3 payed dividends for Town in the opening stages, dominating the ball in the King’s Lynn half. 

It only took nine minutes for this pressure to tell, as Knowles capitalised on Tai Fleming’s slip, drivining into the box and rounding Theo Richardson to open the scoring. 

It was a three-minute double-salvo for Knowles who added his second of the afternoon in spectacular style. After a fine passing move, the former Cambridge man picked up the ball on the edge of the box and placed the ball into the back of the net. 

The returning Wilkinson almost made it three from one of his trademark free-kick’s but strong goalkeeping from Robinson kept King’s Lynn within two. 

Town’s lead was cut in the 21st minute as Wilkinson left a leg in to give the visitors an opportunity to strike from the spot. Journeyman Simeon Jackson stepped up and finished emphatically. 

With the pitch wet due to a continued downpour, tackles were heavy throughout, causing tempers to boil in the latter stages of the half.

Despite the goal, King’s Lynn hardly looked reinvigorated, struggling to create anything of note, whilst Yeovil had another free-kick saved, this time from Dickinson in first half stoppage time. 

After an action-packed opening to the first half, the second couldn’t have been more different, with the best effort either team could muster was Tyler Denton’s hopeful effort from 40-yards for the visitors.

The first real opening of the half came in the 70th minute after Sonny Carey beat A.Smith with his effort inside the box but Wilkinson was there to keep Town ahead.

As the half went on, Sarll looked for fresh impetus from the bench, namely Sonupe and Joe Quigley. It didn’t take long for the two changes to combine, an excellent exchange between the two freed the wide man to fire home his first goal in green and white.

In fairness to the Linnets, they weren’t disheartened by the late goal, as Michael Gash almost pulled one back for King’s Lynn but his header struck the bar, much to the relief of A.Smith.

Ultimately it was a deserved victory for the green and whites who will be looking forward to the return of the Huish Park faithful on Tuesday evening against Maidenhead.


Yeovil Town: A.Smith; Dickinson, Sass-Davies, Dickinson, Kelly; Lee, D’Ath (Stephens), Dagnall; Neufville (Sonupe), Reid (Quigley), Knowles. 

Bookings: Wilkinson, Dickinson. 

Subs not used: Evans