27th November 2018

In a first half to forget, Cristian Montano and Connell Rawlinson put the visitors in a commanding position with Town unable to get going. 

Needing a big second 45 minutes any hopes of a comeback were scuppered when Montano added his second of the night just three minutes after the restart. 

The completion of the Colombian’s brace was enough to inflict defeat on Darren Way’s side for a third successive league match.

Looking for a return to winning ways, Town’s boss made two changes from the side that came back from Macclesfield empty-handed at the weekend. 

An ever-present up until the trip to Cheshire, Carl Dickinson returned in defence as new arrival Adel Gafaiti made way, with Rhys Browne replacing Yoann Arquin as the Glovers altered formation to 4-3-3. 

Amongst the substitutes, Jordan Green featured for the first time since the start of October with Academy goalkeeper Tommy Scott replacing Nathan Baxter who dropped out due a knock picked up in training to join Omar Sowunmi, James Bailey, Olufela Olomola and Alex Fisher on the sidelines. 

The rain had held off for the evening but it was still bitterly cold at Huish Park as Town got the game underway.

It was the visitors who threatened early on in the proceedings as Stuart Nelson palmed a goal-bound cross away and a couple of minutes later watched Tom Pope’s lobbed effort sail safely over.

Making their early pressure count Vale took the lead with 13 minutes on the clock, a ball in from Manny Oyleke was steered in by Montano at the near post.

The Valiants didn’t rest on their goal lead, a speculative effort from Antony Kay almost found the top corner to double their advantage only to whistle just wide.

Shortly afterwards, Tom Pope was released on the right and fired past Nelson’s post and Leon Legge headed over from Tom Conlon’s corner as the pressure continued.

With the Glovers struggling to get a foothold on the game Way made an early change, bringing on Alefe Santos in place of Jake Gray. 

However, things got worst for Town as Rawlinson doubled the visitors’ lead. The defender headed in Conlon’s corner to give his side a two goal cushion. 

Despite a poor start to the game the Glovers finished the half the stronger, with Wes McDonald calling Scott Brown into action and going close on two occasions. 

Shortly after the restart the green and whites found themselves further behind, feeding off Luke Hannant’s ball Montano grabbed his second of the game firing low into the bottom right corner. 

Just before the hour mark Town were lucky to not find themselves four goals down, striker Tom Pope headed wide from the angle with the goal gaping. 

With 20 minutes remaining the hosts tried to work their way back into the game, Rhys Browne had a couple of efforts on goal which were held by Brown.

Failing to create any real chances to test the visiting stopper, the chances kept flowing for the visitors.

Legge had an effort scrambled off the line and Louis Dodd nearly swept one in from the edge of the area. 

Unable to grab even a consolation from a disappointing evening, the Glovers suffered defeat for the second time in four days. 

Yeovil Town: Nelson; James, Warren, Mugabi (Mahmutovic 46′), Dickinson; Pattison, D’Almeida (Green 63′), Gray (Santos 26′), Browne, McDonald; Zoko.
Bookings: Zoko 33′, Santos 39′, Pattison 89′
Subs not used: Scott, Rogers, Patrick, Arquin.

Port Vale: Brown; Vassell, Legge, Smith, Rawlinson; Montano (Dodds 71′), Conlon, Oyeleke (Joyce 76′), Kay, Hannant; Pope
Bookings: Montano 54′, Vassell 60′, Pope 80′
Subs not used: Hornby, Gibbons, Quigley, Kanu, Whitfield.