18th January 2020

Rhys Murphy’s controversial sending off dominates the story of the game as Yeovil drew 2-2 with Hartlepool.

Scoring twice before the sending off through Matt Worthington and Charlie Lee, Town will feel hard done by to draw after looking comfortable beforehand.

With promotion rivals playing each other, this could be seen as a missed opportunity for Yeovil to gain ground on those around them.

Darren Sarll made three changes to the side which thumped Hampton & Richmond in the FA Trophy.

New signing Marc Richards went straight into the starting 11 as Courtney Duffus had a slight injury issue.

Charlie Lee and Remeao Hutton also returned from short injury lay-offs and went straight into the 11.

The returning Lee would see a lot of the ball during the first half, despite a slow start in terms of chances, you could tell the midfielder was keen to make an impact.

He almost did spectacularly in the 20th minute as the ball bounced up nicely 30-yards out, Lee stuck a half volley which deflected narrowly wide.

Just three minutes later Town would take the lead through Worthington. Some brilliant work from Rhys Murphy created space to drag the ball across the goalmouth for Worthington to poke home.

However, this lead would last just three minutes as full-back Peter Kioso found space at the back post to head the Pools level.

The goal did not dishearten Yeovil, as chances continued to fall with Murphy firing over from the edge of the box.

Town would reclaim the lead through the bright Lee. With the ball bouncing in the area, Hartlepool blocked three attempts on goal within the six-yard box before eventually Lee poked the Glovers ahead leading to an eruption in the Thatcher’s Gold Stand.

Yeovil deserved their slim lead at the break, with Town largely controlling most of the first half.

The visitors began the second half on the front foot, with Albi Skendi producing an excellent clearance to deny a goalscoring opportunity.

The Glovers afternoon took a turn for the worse in the 54th minute as Murphy was harshly given his marching orders for seemingly colliding with Myles Anderson with no violent intent.

The visitors would make use of their man advantage, restricting the green and whites to counter attacks.

Eventually, the Pools would make their numerical advantage pay as Gus Mufuta headed Nicky Featherstone’s cross beyond Cann to level the affair.

As Town chased the game, there would be a return for Jimmy Smith as he replaced Charlie Lee for the closing stages.

Hartlepool would have the best chance to claim victory as the ball fell kindly to substitute Luke Molyneux, but his effort flew over.

Despite sharing the points, Sarll’s men would feel hard done by, largely due to the nature of Murphy’s sending off.


Yeovil Town: Cann; Dickinson, Collins, WIkinson, Hutton; Lee (Smith), Worthington, Hippolyte, Skendi; Richards (Duffus), Murphy.

Bookings: Collins, Murphy (RED)

Subs not used: Rogers, Behcet, Bradbury.


Hartlepool United: Beeney, kioso, Kitching, Donalson, Featherstone, Holohan, Mafuta, Liddle, Anderson, Shelton, Keena.

Bookings: Featherstone

Subs: Muir, Cunningham, Moluneux, Kennedy, Killip.