12th February 2019

Looking to spoil Paul Scholes’ first match in charge of the Latics, the visitors almost took an early lead when Jake Gray hit the woodwork.

Evolving into a frustrating half for the hosts who were unable to breakdown an organised looking Town side, they managed to break the deadlock in first-half stoppage time through Jose Baxter.

Carrying their momentum into the second half Callum Lang soon doubled their lead before Bevis Mugabi reduced the arrears just three minutes later. 

The defender’s goal setup a potentially nervy ending but a quickfire double from Mohamed Maouche and Christopher Missilou just before full-time confirmed defeat for the visitors.

Darren Way made four changes for the midweek trip, with two forced due to injury and suspension. 

In came Bevis Mugabi and Alex Pattison for Gary Warren (hamstring) and Craig Alcock (suspended), whilst Yoann Arquin and Francois Zoko completed the alterations in a switch to 4-4-2 as Rhys Browne and Tristan Abrahams dropped out.

A raucous atmosphere after Scholes’ introduction to the home supporters prior to kick-off, it quickly turned to concern after a nasty collision between Tom Hamer and Alex Fisher just seconds into the contest.

Lengthy treatment followed for both but Town’s top scorer was able to continue whilst the hosts were soon forced to replace the injured full-back. 

Slightly subdued by the early swap the Latics were almost deflated further after 14 minutes when Gray’s low drive from the edge of the box cannoned back off the post with Daniel Iversen only able to watch in goal.

Struggling to find a foothold in the match the Glovers continued to frustrate the team in blue, who only boasted a long range strike from Johan Branger-Engone that failed to test Stuart Nelson from the first half-an-hour of action.

With misty rain arriving to add to the plummeting temperature things began to hot up on the pitch as the break approached. 

Zoko tested Iversen from the angle following a smart counter-attack orchestrated by Pattison, whilst at the other end Oldham started to find their feet as Callum Lang fired a strike high and wide as pressure began to mount.

The much-changed Yeovil back four continued to hold Scholes’ side at arm’s length and looked to have made it to the halfway stage unscathed before a moment of magic from the hosts. 

Gevaro Nepomuceno’s clever backheel released Branger-Engone into space and his ball found Baxter who did the rest with a curling shot from 12 yards to open the scoring with the last act of the half.

Leaving it late in the opening 45 minutes to come to life, the game began in breathless fashion after the restart with a second goal for the Latics. 

Nepomuceno’s inch-perfect cross allowed Lang to head home on 51 minutes and dent any hopes of a Yeovil comeback. 

However, with many still celebrating the second goal the Glovers responded immediately as Mugabi, up from the back for a deep free-kick, extended a leg to stab the ball into the back of the net from six yards and reignite the contest.

Now an end-to-end affair, Nelson was on hand to deny Oldham a quick-fire third when he was down low to his left to parry away Baxter’s low drive. 

With the tempo finally subsiding with 25 minutes to go, the green and whites introduced Browne and Courtney Duffus in search of an equaliser as the latter returned to face the club he left at the end of January. 

Doing well to bring back an air of frustration amongst the home supporters, Town set up a tense final 10 minutes for the hosts with just the one-goal advantage. 

However, into the final few minutes a defensive collapse saw potential elation turn to disappointment as Oldham bagged two in two minutes.

Maouche ensured the three points would be staying in Greater Manchester with an unstoppage long-range strike before an instant fourth courtesy of Missilou after the Glovers failed to clear their lines.

Stunned by the late strikes a closely contested match suddenly became a rout as the visitors suffered defeat once more.

Oldham Athletic: Iversen; Hamer (Hunt 11′), Clarke, Edmundson, Nepomuceno; Maouche, Missilou, Baxter (Sylla 69′); Lang, Dearnley (O’Grady 76′), Branger-Engone.
Subs not used: De La Paz, Stott, Robinson, Vera.

Yeovil Town: Nelson; Worthington, Mugabi, Gafaiti, Dickinson; Arquin (Abrahams 86′), Gray, Pattison (Browne 66′), Dobre (Duffus 74′); Zoko, Fisher.
Bookings: Gray 15′, Pattison 32′, Dobre 60′, Worthington 87′.
Subs not used: Baxter, Ojo, Rogers, Seager.