14th December 2019

Yeovil Town advanced to the second round of the FA Trophy with a comfortable 3-1 victory over Welling United at Huish Park.

A Courtney Duffus double and Chris Dagnall header was enough for Yeovil to put their name in the hat for the next round.

The visitors would get a consolation through their captain Robert Swaine as he headed home from a corner.

Darren Sarll rotated his side ahead of the busy Christmas schedule.

Tom Bradbury and Remeao Hutton returned to the defence with Carl Dickinson dropping to the substitutes bench and Albi Skendi being pushed into the midfield.

The midfield had further changes as Matt Worthington and James Tilley also returned to the side.

On his return, Tilley looked bright early on, creating a chance for himself in the 8th minute as his effort from distance struck then crossbar.

Just minutes later Tilley would be the creator as he slipped through Dagnall who saw his poked effort fly just wide of the goal.

Despite being on-top all half, it would take until the 30th minute for Town to take the lead. After Hutton’s cross was flapped at by Daniel Wilks in the Welling net, the ball hit Duffus sending the ball into the back of the net.

Yeovil continued to control the ball for the remainder of the half, but chances remained at a premium.

This would change in the opening stages of the second as the Glovers would strike in the 47th minute.

A brilliant corner by Lawson D’Ath was met by Dagnall for his first goal at Huish Park for the green and whites.

It wouldn’t take long for a third to be added as Duffus added his second goal of the game. After a driven run into the penalty box, the former Everton man slammed home to put the game beyond doubt in the 53rd minute.

In a rare flurry forward, the Wings would force a goal line clearance from Worthington. After Stuart Nelson denied Bradley Goldberg, mayhem ensued in the box with Worthington eventually clearing his lines.

Tilley continued his bright afternoon, almost scoring a wonderful half-volley from 30-yards out but his effort struck the roof of the net.

Yeovil continued to be in the ascendency as the game came to a close, but a fourth goal just wouldn’t come with Tilley again being denied.

The visitors would get a late consolation as Welling captain Swaine headed home from a corner to give the travelling Wings fans something to celebrate.

After being announced as sponsors man of the match, Skendi almost topped off his afternoon with a free header which flew over the bar.

Ultimately it would be victory for Town who extend the winning run to three consecutive games and go into Monday’s draw as a team to avoid.

Yeovil Town: Nelson; Bradbury, Osho, Williams, Hutton; Skendi, D’Ath, Worthington, Tilley; Duffus, Dagnall (McCoy).

Bookings: D’Ath

Subs not used: Dickinson, Murphy, Hippolyte, Rogers, Lee.


Welling: Wilks, Johnson (Ling), Anderson, Dymond, Swaine, Okosieme, Emmanuel, Agyemang, Henry, Goldberg, Cook.


Subs not used: Copeland, McCallum, Widdrington, Cosgrave, Coombes, Green.