23rd October 2018

Both sides scored goals in the opening 25 minutes as Jordan Bowrey opened the scoring after 14 minutes before Town replied through Alex Fisher just over ten minutes later.

In an end-to-end second half both teams had chances but no one could find a winner to ensure the points would be shared in Somerset.

Looking to build on Saturday’s 0-0 draw with Tranmere Rovers, Darren Way made two changes to his starting eleven. 

Suffering a fresh injury blow, Gary Warren dropped out of the squad awaiting the results of groin scan to allow Shaun Donnellan the opportunity to partner Bevis Mugabi at the back. 

Making one further tactical switch, Sessi D’Almeida returned from suspension to captain the side with Rhys Browne dropping to the bench where he joined Wes McDonald who featured for the first time since the end of August.

On a cold Tuesday night at Huish Park it was the hosts who fashioned the first shot at goal. Carl Dickinson brought the ball under control with a fantastic touch and played the ball to Yoann Arquin who saw his effort blocked.

Saturday’s man-of-the-match Mugabi had to be alert to block a shot from Bowrey and at the other end D’Almeida saw an effort blocked after outmuscling his man. 

The hosts found themselves behind when Bowrey poked home after being put clean through, the striker saw his effort saved by Nathan Baxter but made no mistake with the rebound.

Baxter produced a class save to prevent Crewe from extending their lead a couple of minutes later, he reached Harry Pickering’s free-kick with a strong right hand to tip the ball over and keep the deficit at one.

Shaken from going behind the Gloves kicked into gear. Arquin had another shot blocked and on the rebound Fisher followed up with a header which Ben Garratt did well to stop.

With 25 minutes on the clock Town levelled through Fisher. The number nine controlled Tom James’ cross well and picked out the bottom right corner to tie the game.

Employing a real shoot on sight policy Jake Gray, Olufela Olomola and Arquin all got shots off but failed to truly test the Crew number one.

With half-time approaching the Railwaymen almost retook the lead with a slick passing move, after exchanging multiple passes Charlie Kirk looked to slide it to Bowrey at the back post, Dickinson was on hand to put in a crucial challenge and ensure the score remained as is at the interval.

Coming out quick for the second half the green and whites almost found themselves ahead on two occasions inside the opening minutes.

Gray crossed in from the right and the ball narrowly missed trickling in at the back post and seconds later Olomola forced a good save from Garratt before the visitors had a good spell.

In an end-to-end start to the second half Shaun Miller had two good chances for Crewe, he fired his first effort wide of goal and his second effort hit the side netting from only six yards out.

The visitors looked to make their time on top pay, Corey Whelan found himself in a shooting position but D’Almeida made a vital challenge to prevent the shot.

From the resulting corner, Kirk had a go with an acrobatic volley from outside the area that flew inches over Baxter’s crossbar.

Not looking content with a point on the road the visitors continued to press for a winner Callum Ainley drove a cross in from the right that evaded everyone before Baxter stretched stopped a cross reaching Perry Ng who was lurking at the back post.

In the final minute of injury time Town almost snatched the win. Tom James lined up one of his signature free-kicks from 35 yards which moved in the air and wasn’t held first time by Garratt but the keeper recovered well to make sure the points were split.

Yeovil Town: Baxter; James, Mugabi, Donnellan, Dickinson; Gray (Browne 56′), D’Almeida, Pattison, Arquin; Olomola (Patrick 71′), Fisher (Santos 82′).
Bookings: D’Almeida 16′
Subs not used: Nelson, Mahmutovic, Rogers, McDonald.

Crewe Alexandra: Garratt; Whelan, Way, Ng, Pickering; Ainley, Wintle, Jones, Kirk; Bowrey (Porter 70′), Miller (Nicholls 88′).
Bookings: Ng 90+2′
Subs not used: Richards, Raynes, O’Connor, Hunt, Finney.