26th September 2020

Yeovil Town’s pre-season campaign ended in defeat against AFC Bournemouth U23, but the Glovers produced a spirited performance against the young Cherries.

After falling behind in the first half, goals from Rhys Murphy and Josh Staunton clawed Yeovil back into the game in the second half.

A late red card for Gabby Rogers sealed Town’s fate as AFC Bournemouth capitalised just minutes later, netting an 88th minute winner.  

Darren Sarll opted for a blend of youth and experience in his starting eleven. Ahead of Adam Smith who began between the sticks, Ryan Burke, Lee Collins, Luke Wilkinson and Dan Leadbitter lined up in defence.

The midfield saw starts for Alex John, Matt Worthington, and Lawson D’Ath. In front of them was a three-pronged attack of Gabby Rogers, Rhys Murphy and Courtney Duffus.

The visitors settled into their new surroundings quickly, largely controlling the ball throughout the opening stages.

It didn’t take long for the Cherries to take advantage of their strong start, as Jaidon Anthony fired beyond Smith following a tidy turn to lose his marker.

The visiting youngsters had answers to the majority of Yeovil questions, but it was actually a Bournemouth stalwart who added their second. 34-year old Charlie Daniels looping free-kick from the halfway line evaded Smith’s clutches to double the visitors’ advantage.

The second half saw a change in mentality as Sarll’s side thrust the game onto the young Cherries.

With the first chance of the half, Yeovil halved the deficit in the 49th minute. A stunning through ball from Wilkinson found Murphy clean through on goal who expertly placed beyond the onrushing Bournemouth goalkeeper.

Yeovil levelled on the affair in the 66th minute. A bullet header following D’Ath’s well weighted corner saw the scores level as the game entered its closing stages.

Despite it being a friendly, the game was played with a major competitive edge, which came to the boil in the 83rd minute as Rogers received his marching orders after picking up a second yellow card.

The eleven men of the Cherries were able to take advantage late on as Anthony claimed his second goal of the afternoon in the 88th with an excellent strike from the edge of the box, securing victory for AFC Bournemouth.


Yeovil Town: A.Smith (Trialist A); Burke, Collins, Wilkinson (Lee), Leaditter (Heaton); John (Staunton), D’Ath (Dickinson), Worthington; Rogers, Duffus, Murphy (Lloyd)