27th October 2020

Yeovil Town fell to a disappointing defeat on Tuesday evening as Sutton United were the 2-1 victors at Huish Park.

After the visitors took an early lead through Harry Beautyman, a late first half goal from Joe Quigley offered hope for Town after a lacklustre opening 45 minutes.

Beautyman was a consistent danger to the Glovers, firing a second from the penalty spot, securing all three points returned to South London.

With Luke Wilkinson returning from his suspension, Carl Dickinson was the casualty in the Glovers backline as Albi Skendi and Josh Staunton retained their spaces.

Dan Leadbitter and Gabby Rogers started on the flanks, with Lawson D’Ath, Charlie Lee and Matt Warburton in the middle.

After their goalscoring performances on Saturday, Joe Quigley and Rhys Murphy began up top.

Despite a similar side to Saturday, the Glovers began the game in polarising fashion.

Sutton began the game well on top, with Yeovil struggling to find any sort of out ball. It didn’t take long for Yeovil’s pressure to tell, as the tricky Beautyman hammered the visitors in front from the edge of the box on ten minutes.

The goal did little to inspire the Glovers, with the midfield struggling to connect with Murphy and Quigley who were leading the line.

After a poor start, Darren Sarll would have felt nothing was going his way as Josh Staunton fell awkwardly leading to him being replaced by Carl Dickinson in Yeovil’s back three.

With what was seemingly the Glovers first chance of the evening, Town would snatch and equaliser with half-time looming. A free-kick played into Lee’s path eventually found Quigley who acrobatically finished from around 12-yards to level the affair in added time.

Sutton must have felt hard-done-by to be behind at the break, and Matt Gray’s side came out for the second half with a vengeance.

That fire in the Sutton belly soon forced a penalty as Wilkinson was adjudged to have fouled as Sutton broke away. The always bright Beautyman stepped up and comfortably dispatched.  

Despite trailing, the goal did spark Town into life, enjoying a lot of the ball in the second half.

With referee’s a constant talking point, this man in the middle did little to keep himself out of the Glovers’ supporters’ mouths, denying two vocal penalty shouts from Yeovil. The first came following Rogers corner which caused pinball football in the box, eventually seeing the ball seemingly handled by a Sutton defender.

The second came as Murphy tried to turn home Quigley’s initial effort, but felt he was hauled down as he bared down on goal for what would have been a tap-in.

Sutton did well to break up the play as the game came to a close, playing a deep line and effectively dealing with the majority of what Town threw at them.

With bodies forward, Town did little to test Bouzanis in the Sutton net as the U’s held firm for their victory.


Yeovil Town: A.Smith; Staunton (Dickinson), Skendi, Wilkinson; Leadbitter, Rogers, Lee (Clarke), Warburton (J.Smith), D’Ath; Murphy, Quigley.

Subs not used: Burke, Palmer.