22nd July 2017

Defender Marcus Mapstone put the home team ahead before Nathan Smith nodded in a reply.

Winger Rhys Browne fired in the Glovers’ winner – their third victory of pre-season.

But regardless of the football, the day was a charitable success with the game raising funds for local semi-professional player Jamie Mines.

Manager Darren Way made three changes with Keston Davies, Connor Smith and Francois Zoko coming in for Omar Sowunmi, Jake Gray and Olufela Olomola, who all dropped to the bench.

Frome came out of the blocks quickly and forward Jake Jackson had the game’s first chance, glancing wide from Ben Withey’s deep left-wing cross.

Soon after, Yeovil had their opening opportunity. Connor Smith dribbled past three red shirts before firing over the crossbar with his left foot.

Chas Hemmings then tested Jonny Maddison with a dipping free kick from a 25-yard, an effort the Glovers goalkeeper needed two attempts to fully grasp.

A lull in the game followed until the hosts took the lead on 33 minutes. 

Robins midfielder George Miller sent a long free kick to the back stick where Mapstone evaded his marker to head past the despairing dive of Jonny Maddison. 

The scoreline didn’t stay at 1-0 for long as Town equalised almost immediately.

A driven corner from Otis Khan was met by Nathan Smith whose powerful header couldn’t be kept out despite the efforts of a covering defender on the line.

Yeovil would have gone into the break in front if not for some brilliant keeping from home stopper Kyle Phillips.

Captain James Bailey played a perfect through ball for Easter to run on to and he looked certain to finish when one-on-one but Phillips got a big paw to his shot to claw it away.

At the other end, Maddison again got the better of a Hemmings’ set-piece, this time tipping the the ball round the post before Town began to raise the tempo.

Substiture Olufela Olomola burst down the right to the byeline and pulled back for Rhys Browne, who missed the target from 12 yards.

The ex-Grimsby Town made amends moments later, putting Town ahead with a powerful strike.

Khan released the tricky wide man who dispatched high into the roof of the net with his right foot.

Yeovil squandered the chance to wrap the game up from spot as Olomola hit the foot of the post rather than finding the back of the net but all in all, it was another good test – a different one at least – ahead of the season opener against Luton Town in two weeks time.

Yeovil Town: Maddison (Trialist 69), Mugabi (Trialist 69), Davies (Sowunmi 46), N.Smith (James 69), Dickson (Trialist 69), Khan (Ismail 69), C.Smith (Trialist 46), Bailey (Gray 46), Browne (Trialist 69)., Easter (Olomola 46), Zoko (Trialist 69).

Frome Town: Phillips, Hobbs (Griffiths 63), Withey, Teale, Mapstone, Hemmings, Jeffries, Miller, Jackson (Bath 75), Bryant (Davies 46), Knight (Raines 46). Not Used: Price.