6th August 2013
Town advanced to the second round of the Capital One Cup with a 1-0 victory over League Two side Southend United.
A solitary first-half goal from winger Kevin Dawson was enough to ensure Gary Johnson’s men advanced to the next round.
Manager Johnson made five changes from the starting eleven that won away at Millwall in the first game of the Championship campaign.
Liam Davis, Billy Clifford, Joel Grant, Michael Ngoo and Sam Hoskins all started in the place of Dan Seaborne, Ed Upson, Sam Foley, James Hayter and Paddy Madden.
Yeovil had the first shot on goal of the tie early on when Bentley in the Southend goal comfortably gathered Sam Hoskins long-range effort.
The hosts took a while to get going and it took them 13 minutes before they had their first shot at goal. A neat turn and volley from Reid went comfortably wide of the left upright.
On 20 minutes a jinking run by Southend midfielder Jack Payne saw him beat three Town defenders but his powerful goal bound shot was well blocked Ayling just inside the area.
With the hosts having the majority of play Yeovil sprung a attack down the left wing through Grant. The winger’s cross was cleared against Hoskins and safely into the grateful hands on Bentley.
On 35 minutes good build up on the right saw Hoskins cross to the advancing Edwards, but his acrobatic volley went just wide. 
Just second later a inch perfect through ball from Hoskins found Dawson in space and the Irishman made no mistake is putting the ball past Bentley and into the far corner.
With two minutes to go before the half time break the hosts worked a free-kick down the right which ended at the feet of Bennett , but his shot went high over the bar and even cleared the stand housing the Yeovil fans.
Hoskins was proving to be a thorn in the hosts side and it was the former Southampton man who went close for the Town. The striker beat two men out side the area but his powerful shot went just wide of the post.
Patient build up from the Yeovil midfield created the next chance for Ngoo. Midfielder Joe Edwards picked the ball up 25 yards out and fed the big striker. His touch saw him create enough space to fire a shot at goal, but his effort beat Bentley and the far post.
With 20 minutes remaining Gary Johnson introduced Paddy Madden in place of goal scorer Dawson having earlier changed Edwards for Ed Upson.
Upson nearly scored his second volleyed goal of the season but his well-struck effort went wide with keeper Bentley well beaten.
In the dying minutes Grant found himself in lots of space on the right, but the midfielders shot went high over the bar.
The fourth official showed five minutes of added time and it was in this time that the hosts made Stech make his first save of the match. 
A cross from the left was headed at goal by Phillips but Stech’s full stretch save was enough to secure the win for the Glovers.