27th March 2017

Plymouth Argyle defeated Doncaster Rovers in a top of the table clash at the Keepmoat Stadium on Sunday.

Sonny Bradley proved the match-winner with a header in the 50th minute to move Argyle to within three points of league leaders Donny.

Third-placed Portsmouth continued their march towards automatic promotion, putting another nail in Newport County’s relegation coffin.

A Kyle Bennett goal just before the interval and Kal Naismith’s second-half header were enough for the hosts, despite Alex Samuel’s consolation goal leading to a nervy finish.

Leyton Orient’s fading hopes of survival took another heavy blow with a convincing loss at Crawley Town.

The Red Devils scored three times in 10 first-half minutes to condemn Orient to their fourth defeat on the bounce.

Carlisle United dropped out of the play-off places for the first time since September after Crewe Alexandra won 2-0 at Brunton Park.

The Cumbrians had occupied an automatic promotion spot for the most part of the season but are now winless in seven matches, while Crewe are now just one game away from safety.

Blackpool moved into the top seven after Kyle Vassell’s late goal helped them to three points over Hartlepool United.

It looked as though the Tangerines would have to settle for a point after Bright Osayi-Samuel cancelled out Lewis Alessandra’s opener, but up popped Vassell with 10 minutes remaining to hand Blackpool a third successive victory.

Chris Porter grabbed a brace as Colchester United overcame Luton Town at home.

The big frontman headed the U’s in front early on before doubling their advantage just after the half-hour mark. Isaac Vassell netted a late consolation for the Hatters.

Danny Rose was on target twice as Mansfield Town maintained their quest for the play-offs against Morecambe.

All the goals were netted in the first period at the Globe Arena with Paul Mullin’s equaliser proving in vain for the hosts, with Ben Whiteman adding the Stags’ third.

Barnet made a late comeback to beat Cheltenham Town at the Hive.

The Robins’ held a 1-0 lead until the 70th minute before Curtis Weston and two strikes from John Akinde earned the Bees a comfortable win.

In-form Shay McCartan rescued a point for Accrington Stanley with a late free kick against fellow mid-table side Grimsby Town.

Grimsby had looked on course for victory thanks to substitute Akwasi Asante’s first league goal but McCartan had other ideas with a lovely 20-yard set-piece with a minute of normal time remaining.

Elsewhere, Notts County won at Wycombe Wanderers courtesy of Shola Ameobi’s solitary goal, while Cambridge United and Stevenage ended goalless.