12th December 2016

Plymouth Argyle returned to the top of Sky Bet League Two with a 2-0 win over fellow promotion chasers Doncaster Rovers.

Goals from Graham Carey and Jake Jervis returned the Pilgrims to winning ways after a run of three straight defeats.

Portsmouth gained ground on Doncaster with a late winner over Grimsby Town at Blundell Park.

Substitute Kai Naismith’s 25-yard free kick was enough to secure the win for Pompey, who are now five points behind third place.

Carlisle United missed the chance to top the division after a 1-1 draw with fifth-placed Luton Town.

Both goals were scored inside the opening ten minutes with Carlisle’s Michael Raynes seeing red late on for an apparent elbow on Danny Hylton. 

Five second-half goals saw Cambridge United thumb Hartlepool United at Victoria Park. 

After a drab first period, the U’s took total command of the match to record their third league victory on the spin.

David Wheeler bagged a late brace as Exeter City climbed away from the relegation zone at Cheltenham Town’s expense.

The winger struck in the 81st and 85th minute to move the Grecians up to 17th and leave the Robins three points adrift from safety.

Bottom side Newport County saw their home match against Morecambe abandoned at half-time due to heavy rain in South Wales.

The Exiles were leading through a special strike from Tom Owen-Evans but referee Brendan Malone halted proceedings due to standing water on the pitch.

Wycombe Wanderers overcame Notts County in an ill-tempered affair at Meadow Lane.

Michael O’Connor was sent off for the hosts and Adebayo Akinfenwa scored and saw red for the Chairboys, with Scott Kashket grabbing their second.

James Collins scored twice as Crawley Town bounced back from losing 5-0 to Town with a 2-0 win on the road at Crewe Alexandra.

The striker lashed home a 21st-minute opener for the Red Devils and wrapped up the scoring sweeping effort 14 minutes from time.

Blackpool’s promotion hopes were given a boost as two second-half goals handed them victory over Stevenage.

Substitute Bright Osayi-Samuel’s curled finish from the edge of the box initially separated the well-matched sides, before Mark Cullen secured the three points for the Seasiders.

Elsewhere, Leyton Orient edged out Accrington Stanley at home while Mansfield Town and Colchester United played out a goalless draw.