3rd January 2017

Doncaster Rovers leapfrogged Plymouth Argyle at the top of Sky Bet League Two with a 1-0 win over Stevenage.

A late own goal proved the decisive moment at the Keepmoat Stadium as Fraser Franks bundled into his own net five minutes from time.

Plymouth lost by the same scoreline to a defensively sound Barnet at the Hive.

Mauro Vilhete scored after 14 minutes and the Bees withstood heavy pressure to come away with three points.

Carlisle United’s promotion push hit a bump as they fell to a rare home defeat to Grimsby Town.

The Cumbrians led at the break but two goals and an assist from Omar Bogle turned the match in the Mariners favour.

Christian Burgess proved the match winner for Portsmouth over fellow play-off-placed Luton Town.

The Hatters lost Cameron McGeehan to a broken leg early in the contest before Burgess’ thumping header decided the game.

Exeter City kicked 2017 off with a comfortable 4-0 win over Leyton Orient.

Goals from David Wheeler, Ryan Harley (2) and Liam McAlinden gave the Grecians just their second win at home of the season.

John Sheridan was sacked by Notts County following their heavy loss to Cambridge United.

The Magpies have lost nine in a row under Sheridan, while Cambridge kept their place in the top seven with a resounding victory.

Cheltenham Town couldn’t take advantage of County’s poor form as they suffered a 2-0 defeat to an in-form Colchester United.

Tom Eastman netted early for the U’s before Brendan Dickenson sealed the three points late on.

Bottom side Newport County lost their seventh league game in a row at the hands of Wycombe Wanderers.

The Exiles took the lead on the hour but goals from Sam Wood and Paris Cowan-Hall gave Wycombe the win they deserved.

Defender Scott Harrison scored a late equaliser for Hartlepool United to salvage a point in a 2-2 draw with fellow strugglers Accrington Stanley.

Accrington twice took the lead in the match but Hartlepool battled back to earn draw.


Elsewhere, Mansfield Town won on the road at Blackpool while Morecambe and Crewe Alexandra ended goalless.