13th March 2021

Yeovil Town’s winning home run was extended to seven games on Saturday afternoon with a 2-1 victory over Woking.

Rhys Murphy’s double was enough for the Glovers to return to winning ways after back-to-back defeats on the road.

The visitors did prove difficult opposition, pulling a goal back in the second half through Max Kretzschmar. However, Town held firm to secure another win at Huish Park.

Following defeat on Tuesday evening, Darren Sarll opted for three changes to his Glovers side. 

Adam Smith retained his place in goal, as Carl Dickinson returned to the defence as he started alongside Max Hunt, Billy Sass-Davies, and Michael Kelly. 

In the midfield, Charlie Lee returned to the base of the diamond, with Josh Neufville also starting after sitting out against Sutton. Tom Knowles and Albi Skendi also started in the midfield. 

Reuben Reid and Rhys Murphy led the line. 

The visiting Cards settled the quickest, creating a chance in the fourth minute as Kyran Lofthouse drifted through the Yeovil defence and forced a save from Adam Smith.

It took Town time to find their feet in the fixture, with Woking thrusting the play onto the youthful Glovers defence, but this did not pay dividends as Hunt and Sass-Davies stood firm.

Following a slow start, the Glovers finally started to find their rhythm after 20 minutes. After Reuben Reid worked space for himself on the edge of the box, he waited for Josh Neufville’s run but the Luton loanee’s drilled effort did little to test Craig Ross.

On 31 minutes, Murphy netted his first of the afternoon. A piece of individual brilliance from Neufville saw him expertly beat three defenders, the ball then broke free for Murphy who refused to give up on the chance, breaking beyond the Woking defence and placing an effort beyond Ross.

As the half progressed following the goal, Yeovil looked the more likely to score enjoying a large amount of the ball in the Woking half, yet clear cut chances did not continue, with the Glovers holding a slim advantage at the break. 

Much like the first half, Woking settled quickest in the second, winning four corners in quick succession which Sass-Davies and Lee did well to clear.

After some resolute defending at one end, the Glovers got their just rewards at the other. With Knowles winning a free-kick at a tight angle, the ball was played to the near-post for Murphy to add a sublime finish with his backheel to double Town’s advantage in the 58th minute.

However, it did not take long for Town to be pegged back. A deep cross into the box found Kretzschmar in acres of space for the former Wycombe man to head home and cut the deficit.

Despite, conceding Town did not sit back and invite pressure, and looked to catch the visitors out as they threw bodies forward.

Murphy attempted to audaciously complete his hattrick on 85 minutes with a volleyed effort from the edge of the box which flew over.

Even though the visitors were chasing the game, the best chance of the closing stages fell to Town, as the Glovers pounced quickly through Skendi. Despite running into bodies, the Albanian managed to find Knowles who forced an acrobatic save from Ross.

Ultimately Murphy’s double was enough for Yeovil Town to return to winning ways ahead of Tuesday’s clash with Bromley.




Yeovil Town: A.Smith; Bradley (Worthington), Sass-Davies, Hunt, Dickinson; Lee, Neufville, Knowles, Skendi; Murphy (Quigley), Reid (Dagnall)

Bookings: Bradley, Reid, Lee.

Subs: Kelly, J.Smith,