11th May 2014

With an International break early on, September saw only four matches of which only one was at home.

The Glovers started away at Hillsbrough for a match again with controversy an ever present. Wednesday went in front with a goal from Nuhiu but with a linesman clearly waving for offside the referee waved play on!

To add insult to injury Byron Webster was dismissed just before half time. The Glovers equalised with a fine strike from loaneee Joe Ralls, his first for the club, and held on well for a richly deserved point considering their numerical disadvantage.

Three days later and it was a trip to Portman Road to face Ipswich Town. Yeovil took a first half lead through Joel Grant’s goal but were unable to hold on and went down to a 2-1 defeat. The match saw former Glover Liam Fontaine make his loan debut from Bristol City.

Next up was a visit from top of the table Queen’s Park Rangers and their high profile manager Harry Redknapp.

Another really tight game saw Yeovil giving as good as they got and Rangers were certainly having to pull out all the stops to stay in the contest.


The 9,100 crowd were seeing a great performance from Yeovil and Rob Green in the Rangers goal was by far the busier keeper with two remarkable saves from Liam Davis and Joe Ralls.

Once again though, a controversial penalty was to be the Glovers downfall. Charlie Austin went down after being involved in a 50/50 tussle with Dan Seabourne.

The referee ruled in favour of the more glamorous side in Rangers and Austin scored from the spot in the 75th. minute.

If anything though it showed that with luck Yeovil were more than good enough to hold their own in the SkyBet Championship.

The last match of September saw The Glovers travel North again to Bolton’s Reebok Stadium  which saw Shane Duffy make his Glovers debut. Once again another great display saw the team go into the 92nd minute leading through a 79th minute goal from Ed Upson.

But as the final whistle approached Zat Knight pulled across goal a deep cross for Alex Baptiste to head the equaliser.

The fact that the ball was a good two feet out of play when Knight crossed seemed to completely bypass the linesman attention and Yeovil were robbed of three points by a shocking decision from the official.

So at the end of the month only two more points had been added to the Glover’s total and things were clearly going to be hard as the months rolled on.

An interesting foot note that can be disclosed now is that manager Gary Johnson sent a DVD containing the incidents from the Reading, Sheffield Wednesday, Queen’s Park Rangers and Bolton matches to the head of referee’s, whose opinion was that all the decisions were wrong, but sadly he could do nothing to change the results.

What might have been.