16th May 2014

As we all know early January signals the start of the F.A.Cup, and with The Glovers entry straight into the third round, a “BIG” fish was hoped for in the draw.

Sadly it was only Leyton Orient with our old manager Russell Slade at the helm, and the gulf between even the bottom of the Championship and League was all to evident as The Glovers eased past Orient 4-0.

James Hayter gave the home side an early lead which they held to half time. Joel Grant netted early in the second half and James Hayter got another on the hour.

A first Championship goal for Kieffer Moore in injury time rounded off a satisfactory days work as Yeovil moved into the next round hoping for the “BIG” fish to come in the next round.

High flying Burnley were the next visitors to Huish Park, and although Yeovil were always in the game it was Burnley’s two goal machines of Ings and Vokes who put the Northerners into a comfortable lead.

Kieffer Moore did pull one back for Yeovil but in truth they were never really in with much of a chance against the Premier League wannabes.

Next up was a trip to play Birmingham City at St.Andrews.

Yeovil found themselves two up within nineteen minutes as James Hayter helped himself to a brace, and apart from an injury to new loan signing Bakayogo, Yeovil were well in control for a welcome away win.

The hoped for “BIG” fish in the fourth round of the FA Cup turned out to be fairly big in the shape of Southampton.

Nearly three and half thousand fans travelled to St.Mary’s but there was not to be a cup upset as the Premier League aristocrats cruised through 2-0, with goals from Do Prado and Gallagher.

From the writer’s perspective the next match was probably the lowest point of the season. Derby County in their impressive InPro Stadium flying high, and despite heavy rain the Glovers went in at half time 2-0 up with cracking goals from Lundstram and Miller.

As the second half wore on and Derby pressed ever harder, after pulling a goal back through Bamford, Yeovil were hanging on and then with only three minutes of normal time Bryson scored from the edge of the area.

Then as added time ticked away, and a draw seemed a disappointing result, a carelessly given away free kick by Ed Upson saw Chris Martin head home from an absolutely lethal free kick to send most Yeovil supporters suicidal.

It was a killer blow and with hindsight one that The Glovers probably never really recovered from.