9th May 2014

After the usual pre-season games which saw mixed results, including a 5-1 reverse against Swansea all the anticipation of the summer saw the big day finally arrive on August 3rd with The Glovers away to Millwall at The New Den.

With friendly results being quite mixed nobody really knew what to expect, but in a fairly uneventful match Ed Upson popped up just before the end to score a vital if, by then, unexpected goal.

Cue frantic celebrations from the travelling Glovers fans that had travelled up to the capital in their hundreds. The perfect start!

A pretty unspectacular 1-0 victory at Southend followed in the Capital Cup with a Kevin Dawson goal being the difference between the two sides.

Saturday 10th saw the very first match at home in the SkyBet Championship with Birmingham City the opposition.

In front of 8,717 supporters Yeovil were dealt an early blow, when after seven minutes keeper Marek Stech was injured and had to be replaced by Gareth Stewart.

Worse was to follow with a Danny Seabourne own goal early in the second half and despite going close through James Hayter and Dan Burn it was a first defeat of the season proper for the Glovers.

The Gaffer had already been active in the loan market bringing in central defender Alan Tate from Swansea and he now had to address the loss of Stech by bringing Sam Johnstone from Manchester United.

Next up a visit to that Bastian of Northern football, Turf Moor.

Disaster struck as early as the warm up when Johnstone injured his finger. None the less he played the match and yet again Yeovil put up a great show holding the home side to as late as the 72nd. minute before they went on to record a 2-0 victory.

Back at Huish Park Derby County were the next visitors. Welsh International keeper Wayne Hennessy had come in on loan and was subjected to something of a baptism of fire as Derby showed their class with a 3-0 victory.

In the Capital Cup Birmingham were back at Huish Park in what can only be described as a match that had everything.

Brum went in front after 20 minutes but Yeovil soon equalised through Ed Upson. The Midlanders went in front again but Yeovil equalised in the last minute through a rather controversial goal from Byron Webster.

Birmingham had expected to have the ball put out after an injury but Webster had other ideas. Mayhem broke out but the goal stood.

That meant extra time and the rare sight of a goal from Luke Ayling to put Yeovil in front again but a minute later Gary Johnson, as he is prone to doing, decided to GIVE Birmingham a goal back sending the game into a penalty shoot out.

But for Yeovil that was as good as it got as they lost the shoot out.

The Glovers finished the month with a home match against Reading. In a match dominated by Yeovil it was left to our old friend Trevor Kettle to strike again as Adam Le Fondre went down under no challenge or contact but Mr.Kettle gave the penalty.

So the month ended with only three points from a possible 15 showing this league was certainly not going to be easy for The Glovers.