24th April 2018

In a tame opening 45 minutes, a fine Jonny Maddison save to deny Haydn Hollis marked the only meaningful attempt on goal as both midfields came out on top in a game which had the feel of an end of season encounter.

Making the most of the 15-minute break, the Glovers came out in determined fashion in the second half and went close twice through Francois Zoko and Alex Fisher early on. 

Dominating the half, Omar Sowunmi almost headed home after staying up from a corner but it remained a stalemate as both sides ensured a nerveless final two games of the season by reaching 47 points.

Looking for a return to winning ways, Darren Way made three changes for the midweek encounter in a switch back to 4-4-2. 

Missing out with a foot injury, Otis Khan came in for Ryan Dickson to slot in on the left of midfield whilst Jordan Green occupied the other wide berth in place of Oscar Gobern. 

Welcomed back after a four-game suspension, top scorer Zoko reclaimed his place and the captain’s armband with Marcus Barnes dropping to the bench as the final alteration.

Amongst the substitutes, goalkeeper Artur Krysiak made a surprise return after initially being ruled out for the remainder of the season in February having suffered a knee ligament injury. 

Perhaps knowing the mathematics of the evening, the encounter started in a lowkey manner with neither side posing much in terms of an attacking threat. 

Scott Laird’s cross from the left which almost found Hollis in the middle was as close as anyone came to a chance in the opening quarter-of-an-hour before Maddison was finally tested. 

Chris Clements’ whipped delivery once again honed in on Hollis lurking around the back, with the defender’s flicked effort being brilliantly tipped over by Town’s alert stopper.

Enjoying a sudden flurry of chances, Laird’s corner crept through to Christian Doidge, but caught unawares, the Rovers top scorer could only flick onto the outside of the post on the stretch. 

Now midway through the half, the visitors remained on the front foot as Way’s side struggled to make it stick up front. 

Failing to go closer than Hollis’ earlier effort, Dayle Grubb had a tame shot comfortably saved whilst at the other end Lewis Wing’s wayward strike from range was as good as it got for Town. 

After an opening 45 minutes devoid of chances, the Glovers upped the tempo immediately after the restart and almost broke the deadlock early on. 

Having stripped Charlie Cooper wide on the left, Otis Khan pulled it back from the byline towards Zoko but the Ivorian’s first-time strike from close range was well-saved by a sprawled Bradley Collins.

Penning the visitors in, Rovers’ keeper was called immediately into action once again, this time to tip Fisher’s flicked effort over the bar. 

The Gloucestershire outfit were then dealt a blow as Collins had be stretched off with a head injury picked up in the process of keeping out Zoko’s earlier shot, forcing Cameron Belford to enter the fray.

Sensing the danger and keen to hold on to the point needed to guarantee their safety, Forest Green introduced defender Lee Collins for former Yeovil striker Reuben Reid as the hatches were battened down. 

The defensive switch didn’t stop Way’s side remaining on the offensive and as the game edged towards the final 10 minutes the latest wave of pressure almost brought an opening goal. 

Zoko’s lively run and cross almost created a tap-in for strike partner Fisher, but astute defending only conceded a corner from which Omar Sowunmi headed Khan’s cross just over after play was recycled. 

With a hefty 10 minutes of additional time signalled by the fourth official the game’s tempo once again decreased as both sides settled for a share of the spoils which confirmed the two clubs would meet again in the 2018/19 campaign.

Yeovil Town: Maddison; Mugabi, Sowunmi, Donnellan, James; Green (Browne 74′), Bird, Wing, Khan; Fisher (Surridge 85′), Zoko.
Subs not used: Krysiak, N. Smith, C. Smith, Santos, Barnes.

Forest Green Rovers: Collins (Belford 59′); Rawson, Gunning, Hollis; Cooper, Clements, Osborne, Grubb (Brown 87′), Laird; Reid (Collins 65′), Doidge.
Subs not used: Simpson, Wishart, Campbell, Simpson.