19th July 2013
Yeovil Town were beaten by five goals to nil by a strong Swansea side in their first home pre-season friendly tonight.
The Swans top scorer from last season, Michu, put them ahead in the first half and Michael Laudrup’s side turned on the style in the second half adding further goals through Nathan Dyer, Pablo Hernandez and subs Rory Donnelly and Alessandro Pozuelo.
The scoreline was a little unfair on a Glovers side that struggled at times to get the ball back once they’d lost it and who were out-passed for periods of the match. It was no surprise really given the Premier League side’s pedigree and success in recent seasons.
Yeovil manager Gary Johnson’s starting line up was a familiar one with just one of the six new signings beginning the game and two trialists in the eleven, Seth Nana Twumasi and centre back Danny Seaborne who slotted alongside Byron Webster. The 
Swans starting line up looked very impressive and won’t be too far away from the one that lines up against Premier League champions Manchester United next month in the season’s opener. 
Michu flicked a header well wide early on and Sam Foley twice had shots blocked as both sides looked to settle into an early rhythm. The Welshmen are famed for playing a brand of attractive, fluent football and they didn’t disappoint the crowd of 2,236, swelled by 270 travelling Swans. 
The visitors took the lead on 26 minutes through Michu after great work from his fellow attacker Pablo Hernandez, impressive all evening with his energy and running. Michu’s finish with his left foot into the corner of the net left Marek Stech helpless to stop it.
The goal had come from a Twumasi mistake and it was his last contribution to the game, hauled off immediately and replaced by Billy Clifford, the Chelsea loan midfielder.
Yeovil’s best spell of possession football ended with Ed Upson firing a scuttler just wide of Michel Vorm’s right hand post and the Dutch keeper then smartly reacted to parry a rocket of a shot from Kevin Dawson. Paddy Madden’s weak shot was held by Vorm and the pair later collided in the box as the Irishman tried to get on to a Michael N’Goo header.
The second half opened with Madden shooting at Vorm and Clifford’s cross shot hitting the side netting before Vorm again thwarted Foley with a brave block  Hernandez then sidefooted after a good move but the Swans weren’t to be denied and went two nil up on the hour. Hernandez and Alessandro Pozuelo combined to set up Nathan Dyer with an easy finish.
Johnson brought on Kieffer Moore, Sam Hoskins and Joel Grant to replace Dawson, Foley and Madden while Swans boss Laudrup also made three switches including the introduction of Wayne Routledge.
Former Liverpool midfielder Jonjo Shelvey shot way over after a forty yard burst through midfield but two more goals in three minutes sealed the game as a spectacle. Routledge set up Hernandez for a deserved goal on 71 minutes before then setting up sub Rory Donnelly for a quality volley into the top corner on 74 minutes.
Laudrup then made three more changes as did Johnson when he brought on Junior Konadu, Joe Jones and Lewis Young for Upson, Luke Ayling and the impressive Seaborne. After Hoskins had squirted a shot wide, Swansea made it five with a goal in the last minute, Hernandez and Angel Rangel’s neat interplay set up Pozuelo for the fifth.
The last word went to the Glovers with Vorm saving well from Clifford’s driven free kick.