23rd July 2013
Yeovil Town completed a 2-1 victory over Exeter City at Huish Park tonight with two superb goals from Ed Upson and Paddy Madden.
Upson’s strike, a curling 20 yarder into the corner of the net gave Yeovil a second minute lead but sub Matt Grimes levelled with fourteen minutes left for the Grecians who had been reduced to ten men on 37 minutes following the dismissal of Tommy Doherty for violent conduct. But the visitors were only on terms for four minutes as Madden hit a superb rising shot to win the game for a Glovers side well ahead on chances in the game.
Manager Gary Johnson moved into the loan market today, bringing in Swansea’s experienced defender Alan Tate and the Swans defender started at left back alongside Dan Seaborne whose signature was confirmed after Town’s 5-0 defeat to Swansea on Friday. Lining up for Paul Tisdale’s side was former Glovers attacker Arron Davies and ex-loanee Doherty.
The hosts got off to a great start with just two minutes on the clock. Exeter keeper Artur Krysiak flapped at a cross, pushing it out to Kevin Dawson. He returned the ball across the front of the area and Upson curled a beauty into the far corner of the net.
Chances for the Glovers were clocking up far too regularly for Paul Tisdale’s liking while his own side lacked composure and threat up front. Liam Sercombe’s cross shot and a wayward effort from Scott Bennett was all they had to show for the whole of the first half while Town could point to six clear cut chances to score, apart from the goal.
Upson was at the heart of everything going forward and he could have netted twice from range before he eventually scored. James Hayter and Madden also went close before the controversial moment of the match. Upson was the victim of a petulant kick from Doherty which the referee saw but before he could act, centre half Byron Webster reacted by shoving Doherty. The official Brendan Malone showed Doherty a straight red then issued a yellow to Webster.
Joe Edwards and Madden went close as the half ended but in the second half, the Grecians opened up a bit and seemed to go a little more direct too. It led to a twenty minute spell where the sides exchanged chances. Alan Gow shot over, Sercombe did really well to create space with a surging run but his shot lacked power and sub Jamie Reid fired over while another sub, Jake Goslin had his shot beaten away by Marek Stech at the far post.
Yeovil’s chances were mounting up with Hayter volleying over at the near post, Madden continually just off target with three curling shots, Sam Foley robbed in the six yard box as he was about to shoot and Krysiak saving with his legs from Madden. Just as it seemed the game would not see any further goals, Exeter equalised from nothing. Sub Matt Grimes hit a low shot that squirmed under Marek Stech’s hands and rolled almost apologetically into the corner of the net.  
Yeovil then hit back almost immediately with a peach of a finish. Paddy Madden, unlucky in front of goal all night, took out all his frustration at missing earlier chances and hit a wonderful shot that flew past the helpless Krysiak in the Exeter goal. It was a smashing finish from the Irish striker who could have had four or five goals tonight.
The final ten minutes saw several changes for both sides with Foley, Edwards, Hayter, Dawson and Webster withdrawn to be replaced by Michael N’Goo, Sam Hoskins, Billy Clifford, Joe Jones and Joel Grant
Upson almost made it 3-1 with the game’s final chance, a 25 yard free kick that went inches over.