8th November 2014

Yeovil Town cruised into the second round of the FA Cup with a 1-0 victory over a disappointing Crawley Town at Huish Park this afternoon.

Jordy Hiwula’s first ever senior goal on seven minutes was all that separated the sides numerically but in terms of possession and chances created, the Glovers were miles superior to their Sussex visitors and should really have wrappped up the game with more goals. But in the end, it will be Yeovil Town who take the second round spot in Monday night’s draw.

The Town made a bright, encouraging start to the tie and could have taken the lead in the second minute but Sam Foley’s carefully placed curling effort smacked against the foot of the post. Hiwula then was inches short of connecting to a James Berrett cross but the on loan Manchester City striker wasn’t to be denied and opened his Glovers account on six minutes. Liam Davis chipped a ball into the heart of the Crawley defence, it was headed backwards by a defender but Hiwula nipped in quickly, rounded the keeper and fired home his first ever senior goal.

Kevin Dawson, impressive all afternoon, then stung Crawley keeper Jamie Ashdown’s finger tips with a fierce shot and an unmarked Ben Nugent headed just wide from a Sam Foley free kick.

It took seventeen minutes for the visiting side to create a chance but when it came, former Glover Matt Harrold turned and shot just wide. The bulk of the opportunities were at the other end though and Ashdown denied both Davis and Jordan Clarke in a matter of seconds before Joe Edwards sliced a long range effort wide and another Hiwula effort was blocked.

The second half brought more of the same from the hosts. Ajay Leitch-Smith headed wide from a Clarke cross and Jed Steer had to be smart to save from both Izale McLeod and Josh Simpson. McLeod then went close with a back header that looped over Steer’s bar but still a second goal wouldn’t come.

The Crawley manager John Gregory introduced two more ex-Yeovil players in Gavin Tomlin and Lewis Young and Tomlin in particular livened things up in attack, providing a presence although he did earn a yellow card for a late challenge on Foley.

Lanre Oyebanjo threatened Yeovil’s goal but pulled his left footed effort wide and at the other end, Dawson fired well wide after creating space for a long range effort. Ashdown’s final save was to deny a 25 yarder from Berrett then watched helplessly as Foley’s shot whistled just past his post.

Three minutes of stoppage time passed without incident and Yeovil’s passage into the second round was assured, although it was a narrower margin than they really deserved.