3rd December 2013
Yeovil Town made it back to back wins for the first time ever in the Championship as they beat fourth placed Blackpool by a goal to nil at Huish Park.
John Lundstram’s 20th minute goal won all three points against a side that totally lost their discipline in the final ten minutes, incredibly ending with just EIGHT men following red cards for Kirk Broadfoot, Ricardo Fuller and Gary McKenzie in a tempestuous finale.
But the Glovers were well worth the three points tonight in a match that saw a dozen chances for both sides; a surprise that the game only ended with one goal in it.
Town boss Gary Johnson unsurprisingly named an unchanged eleven from Saturdays fantastic win at promotion chasing Watford meaning there were home debuts for loan trio Adam Morgan, John Lundstram and Ishmael Miller.
Miller was a constant thorn in the Blackpool defence all night and could have scored inside the first minute but his shot was straight at Seasiders keeper Matt Gilks. Ricardo Fuller blazed over and Dan Gosling headed wide from a Neal Bishop cross.
The game was entertaining enough with chances at either end to keep the crowd warm on a chilly night. Thomas Ince and Scott Dobbie both had efforts while Miller shot wide and Luke Ayling had a shot blocked.
The Glovers took the lead on twenty minutes through midfielder John Lundstram. Liam Davis floated a left footed free kick over, Byron Webster challenged for the ball and as it fell, Lundstram stroked the ball home.
The Seasiders came back into the game more and often utilised the imperious throws of left back Jack Robinson to good effect, the ex Liverpool defender hurling the ball to the back post on occasion!
Yeovil keeper Chris Dunn produced a wonderful flying tip over from Bishop’s volley then watched as Dobbie, Isaiah Osbourne then Dobbie again all wasted chances. It wasn’t one way traffic though as Lundstram could have grabbed a second but sliced his shot wide right on half time.
Dunn then denied Gosling twice in the opening second half skirmishes before Morgan was replaced by Sam Hoskins with some fresh legs up front. Joel Grant! who had another good game wide on  the left curled a beauty wide of the far upright and Ed Upson was inches away from a goal of the decade contender when his stupendous 30 yard volley crashed against the underside of the crossbar. A few inches lower and it would have been a goal to remember.
Blackpool sub Steven Davies flicked over from Gosling’s assist on 74 minutes and both Davies and Ince saw shots blocked in a penalty area scramble as Yeovil had a wobbly five minutes where they couldn’t shake the Seasiders off their backs.
Miller and Hoskins then shot wide before the game caught fire with six minutes of normal time remaining. Hoskins was cynically flattened by Broadfoot, a challenge that was then repeated by McKenzie on Miller, both players earning yellow cards with Upson tripping Gosling twice and also seeing ref Chris Sarginson issue him a caution.
Fuller was inches away from a dramatic equaliser when he hooked just wide on 87 minutes and final sub Michael Chopra sliced badly when he had his chance to grab an undeserved leveller.
Then all hell broke loose as the match entered stoppage time with three red cards in stoppage time, all to Blackpool. Hoskins was again taken out by Broadfoot and saw a second yellow card, and subsequent red. Then Fuller, having becoming increasingly frustrated all night, pushed his head into Luke Ayling and was also dismissed for violent conduct. 
After Hoskins had blocked Robinson and also earned a yellow from the official, there was incredibly a third red card. McKenzie once again took Miller out needlessly on the touch line and ref Sarginson had no option but to reduce Paul Ince’s side to eight men.
So six points from two fixtures leaves Gary Johnson’s men tantalisingly close to escaping the bottom three and with 21st placed Charlton Athletic the visitors on Saturday, another vital match is on the horizon!