16th December 2014

Two late goals from the Glovers saw them progress to the FA Cup Third round to face Manchester United.

Goals from Simon Gillett and Kieffer Moore secured Towns win against Accrington Stanley at a wet and windy Huish Park.

Gary Johnson made one initial change to his starting eleven with Tom Eaves starting in the place of the cup tied Sam Hoskins.

Town were dealt a blow before a ball had been kicked when Jordan Clarke had to be replaced by Brendan Moloney after the Coventry City loanee picked up an injury in the warm up.

The Glovers, backed by the vocal crowd started well and almost opened the scoring on 12 minutes. A ball over the top by Twumasi was headed back towards his keeper by Aldred, but the big defender didn’t see keeper Rose stood right by him. With the centre-back sprinting back to clear the ball went just wide of the Accrington post.

Yeovil were on the front foot and pressing for the opening goal but could only really create half chances. The returning Tom Eaves chest controlled the ball well in the area, but fired is shot over the bar. Moments later captain Edwards’ volley looked goal bound until the ball deflected off Gillett and out for a goal kick.

With just over five minutes of the first half remaining it was Town who again came closest to opening the scoring. Nathan Smith’s throw in was well controlled by Gillett, who turned away from his marker to unleash a volley at goal. His effort had keeper Rose scrambling but the ball went narrowly wide of the target.

Town started the second half well with half chances falling to both Gillett and Arthurworrey, but their efforts failed to test Rose in the Accrington goal.

Just before the hour mark and with the referee waving away a foul on Gillett, the away side broke quickly down the right.

A cross was whipped in and found its way to Andy Proctor, but his powerful volley went just over the top of Steer’s crossbar.

Moments later and at the other end Arthurworrey’s header went just wide after Accrington failed to clear a Foley corner.

It was midfielder Foley who had Town’s next chance when he received a Twumasi cross at the back post, but his volley went over the Accrington bar.

On 69 minutes Town made their first sub with weekend goal scorer Kieffer Moore replaced James Hayter.

Accrington’s first chance of the second half fell to Seamus McCarten when his jinking run ended with the midfielders long range shot being tipped wide by Steer in the Glovers goal.

On 79 minutes Town had a major let off when McCarten’s 20-yard shot came back off the bar and striker Crooks somehow managed to head wide, when it looked easier to score.

With five minutes to play Town took the lead. A Twumasi cross was half cleared by the Accrington back line to Gillett. The midfielder chested the ball down and volleyed the ball home into the empty net.

Town doubled their lead with just under two minutes to play when sub Kieffer Moore headed home from inside the area.