16th August 2023

The Glovers secured their second consecutive victory with late goals from Olly Thomas and Jake Wannell, rallying from behind to beat Truro City in the National League South.

In the first half, Truro City adopted a counter-attacking style that kept the Glovers’ defence busy. Despite this, it was the Glovers who initiated the first goal attempt, with crosses from Rhys Murphy and Charlie Cooper testing Truro goalkeeper James Hamon.

Truro displayed their offensive threat as well. James Melhado created space on the right wing for a cross, but it proved inaccurate. Shortly after, Ed Palmer moved the ball from defence and posed a danger to the Glovers, but his shot was blocked. The momentum continued for Truro with two more chances – Harvey Greenslade’s shot deflected narrowly wide, and another effort by Greenslade was parried away by Will Buse.

The Glovers had their moments as well. Jordan Maguire-Drew’s cross-cum-shot forced Hamon to tip the ball over the bar, and Morgan Williams delivered a cross that just eluded Rhys Murphy. Another fine cross from Maguire-Drew targeted Jake Hyde but remained out of reach for the forward.

Towards the end of the first half, Rhys Murphy’s well-executed shot was deflected over the crossbar, and a long ball from Josh Staunton found Frank Nouble, whose header went wide.

Truro started the second half with the same intensity, and Harvey Greenslade’s attempt was halted by a coordinated effort from Josh Staunton and Jake Wannell. The pressure from Truro paid off as Andrew Neal broke through the defence and scored, putting Truro into the lead.

The Glovers quickly responded, with Frank Nouble’s shot deflected wide. Truro’s Greenslade also missed a shot from the left wing. With just over 20 minutes remaining, the Glovers made substitutions, introducing Jordan Young and Olly Thomas. Olly Thomas almost creating an equaliser, flicking the ball to Rhys Murphy, who narrowly missed with an acrobatic shot.

With six minutes left, Charlie Cooper intercepted play, delivering a well-weighted pass to Olly Thomas, who calmly slotted the ball into the bottom corner, equalizing the score. This goal revitalised the Glovers and the Huish Park support, putting Truro in a vulnerable position.

Olly Thomas, who had been threatening since his introduction, had an effort blocked, and later, his precise ball found Jake Wannell, whose shot was collected by James Hamon. In stoppage time, Matt Worthington’s precise cross was met by Jake Wannell’s header, which found the back of the net, securing the lead.

The Glovers managed the remaining minutes well, as Truro’s only glimpse at goal came through Ryan Brett whose volley from the edge of the box missed the target. As the final whistle blew, the Glovers celebrated a remarkable comeback and their second consecutive win.