7th December 2022

Yeovil Town’s Somerset Premier Cup defence began with 2-1 victory against Taunton Town at Huish Park. 

Louis Britton struck his first goal for the Club in the first half whilst Matt Worthington secured victory in the second. 

It was a comfortable performance from the Glovers, who didn’t really need to go beyond second gear to create chances against the National League South side. 

The team sheet was a strong one, but saw a change of system, with Mark Cooper opting for a back three. 

Will Buse made his first Yeovil Town start, and made a good impression whenever he was called upon. 

Max Hunt, Jamie Reckord and Owen Bevan began in the defence, whilst Charlie Wakefield, Worthington, Lawson D’Ath, Andrew Oluwabori and Ewan Clark started in a five-man midfield. 

Malachi Linton led the line alongside Britton. 

The Glovers looked bright early on and dominated the ball, something of a theme throughout. 

With 11 minutes played, the first opening of the game came Yeovil’s way, as Britton was found in the box, but he couldn’t direct his looping header on target. 

Upping the ante, Yeovil came close again just two minutes later, as Clark cut onto his right foot and forced a corner after his goalbound attempt was blocked. 

The returning Wakefield was very unlikely to not strike Yeovil ahead just before the half an hour mark. The winger took the onus upon himself and saw his strike from 35-yards cannon off the crossbar. 

Eventually, the Glovers’ pressure paid off as Britton struck his first goal for the club, tucking the ball away following a Yeovil corner. 

At the break, it was a deserved advantage for Cooper’s side, who if anything would have been frustrated not to lead by more. 

The second half saw the visitors strike against the run of play. Dylan Morgan worked room for himself at the edge of the box and left Buse stranded with his superb effort into the top corner. 

This did little to dismay Yeovil, who worked attacks nicely, finding space in the wide areas. 

Just after the hour mark, it was a cross into the box that restored Yeovil’s advantage. With Taunton unable to clear their lines, Worthington snapped the ball up and deftly placed the ball into the bottom corner beyond Lloyd Isgrove. 

Following the goal, Cooper injected some fresh legs into the side, including EPDP graduates Ollie Haste and Benjani Jr.

Buse would still have work to do despite the clear confidence in the Yeovil ranks, after Taunton broke through, he stood tall to deny the forward and keep the Green and Whites in front.  

Looking to put on a show, Oluwabori produced an excellent piece of skill in the 69th minute, to flick the ball up to himself and cross the ball to the far-post, but Britton couldn’t quite reach his pass. 

Late chances fell for both Hunt & Linton, but ultimately 2-1 was how it finished as Yeovil secured passage into the Third Round of the Somerset Premier Cup.