12th October 2019

Yeovil Town fell to a disappointing defeat to 1-2 Harrogate Town at Huish Park.

The Glovers had the opportunity to go top with a point, but goals from Brendan Kiernan and Jack Muldoon leaves Town in third place.

Rhys Murphy would slam home a consolation in stoppage time but it was not enough for the green and whites.

Darren Sarll made two changes to the side which comfortably dispatched Woking on Tuesday night.

Tom Bradbury returned to the side in the place of Carl Dickinson, seemingly due to an injury. 

Myles Hippolyte also returned to the side after being rested on Tuesday, replacing James Tilley who was not in the squad. 

Despite a slow start, the Glovers had the better chances of the opening minutes. Jimmy Smith would have Yeovil’s first effort, hooking his effort wide following Hutton’s cross.

The green and whites would go close as the ball fell to Duffus in the 22nd minute as the striker escaped his marker and fired into the side-netting.

Following this, the visitors largely controlled the tempo, holding onto the ball for long periods but rarely creating anything of significance. 

Jack Diamond would have Harrogate’s best chance from a free-kick 25-yards from goal, but the midfielder ballooned his effort over the bar.

The closing period of the first half offered two great chances for the Glovers. The first fell to Myles Hippolyte who dragged his effort wide from the edge of the box.

Just minutes later, Duffus would go inches from taking the lead. After poking the ball beyond the enrushing Harrogate goalkeeper, some heroic defending from the visitors saw the ball cleared off the line and away to safety.

After an even affair, the score was level at the break.

The green and whites came out of the second half with real intent, and went close just minutes into the half as J.Smith had his effort cleared off the line.

Yeovil began to turn the screw as the half progressed, continually finding routes in-behind the visitors defence. However, the Glovers rarely tested James Belshaw thanks to last-ditch defending from Harrogate. 

Despite the Glovers continual pressure, the visitors would strike ahead. Kiernan’s effort from the edge of the box found its way through bodies nestled into the bottom corner.

The visitors would add a second in the 79th minute. After a defensive mishap, Muldoon was sent through on goal and made no mistake, gibing Harrogate a two-goal cushion.

Murphy would offer Town a life-line, volleying home in stoppage time after J.Smith’s initial effort was blocked.

Ultimately, the Glovers found the net just too late as Harrogate ran out the victors.


Yeovil Town: A.Smith; Collins, Bradbury, Wilkinson, Hutton (Dagnall); Lee, Worthington (Skendi), Hippolyte, J.Smith; Murphy, Duffus (Omotayo).

Bookings: Wilkinson, Lee

Subs not used: D’Ath, Alcock.


Harrogate Town: Belshaw; Fallowfield, W.Smith, Hall, G.Smith; Falkingham, Burrell, Diamond (Thomson) , Kiernan; Beck, Muldoon (Stead).


Subs not used: Stead, Cracknell, Bradley, Emmett.