24th September 2022

Nathan Ashmore was Yeovil Town’s nemesis once again as he produced a fine performance to earn Boreham Wood a point at Huish Park.

Alex Fisher put the Glovers ahead, but in a case of deja-vu from last weekend, the visitors were able quickly level.

Yeovil’s front foot football continued in the second half, but they were unable to find the killer touch to win the game.

Grant Smith remained in goal, whilst Morgan Williams returned to the backline in the place of Owen Bevan. Josh Staunton and Ben Richards-Everton were the other centre backs. Jamie Reckord and Charlie Wakefield began int he wide roles.

Lawson D’Ath, Matt Worthington & Sam Pearson were the midfield three whilst Gime Touré and Fisher combined up front.

In comparison to last weekend’s game against Chesterfield it was a far slower start, but the Glovers were the side creating the more chances in the first half.

With ten minutes played, Chris Hargreaves’ side turned the Wood defence for the first time as Pearson broke into the box, but last ditch defending denied him a shooting opportunity.

At the other end, a drilled cross fell to Danny Elliott who fired the ball well over Smith’s goal.

Town’s best chance of the opening stages fell to Toure. After bursting through one-on-one just shy of the twenty minute mark, he tried to round Nathan Ashmore but the Wood no.1 got a hand to the ball.

This gave Yeovil confidence, who continued to pile on the pressure, forcing a number of good saves from Ashmore.

Eventually this pressure told in the 39th minute. Touré took the onus on himself and fired a drilled effort towards goal, after Ashmore spilled the strike, Fisher was there to poach his first goal since returning to Huish Park.

Unfortunately for Yeovil, this lead did not last long. Some timid defending allowed Jack Payne shooting room at the edge of the box to level the affair with moments to go in the half.

The second half saw Yeovil continue to dominate, but struggle to break down the visitors defence.

Lawson D’Ath had the first attempt of the half on 52 minutes tried his luck from distance and forced an acrobatic stop from Ashmore.

Town’s best chance of the second half fell to Bristol City loanee Pearson. Some forward pressure from Worthington turned the ball over high and found Pearson who shot straight at Ashmore.

Continuing to press, the likes of Richards-Everton and Fisher continued to go close, but ultimately Ashmore was equal to all their attempts as the Wood held onto a point.

Yeovil Town: Smith; Richards-Eve’, Staunton, Williams; Wakefield, Reckord; D’Ath, Worthington, Pearson (Scrimshaw); Toure, Fisher (Linton).

Subs not used: Buse, Hunt, Craske