1st March 2023

Jordan Maguire-Drew’s composed penalty secured a point for Yeovil Town against Altrincham at Huish Park.

After the in-form visitors took the lead in the first half through James Jones, the Glovers improved vastly in the second half.

Dominating the play, Maguire-Drew’s goal was duly deserved for Town, who in truth would have left Huish Park feeling a little bit disappointed it was just the one point gained.

Yeovil started well, creating a shooting chance within two minutes. Captain for the night Alex Fisher had the ball dropped into his path, but he couldn’t get a clean connection on his strike.

Just minutes later, the ball fell kindly to Morgan Williams at the edge of the box, he hit his effort first time but saw his strike take a deflection on its way to goal.

As the half grew on, so did the visitors confidence as they enjoyed the first clear cut chance of the game. A superb save from Grant Smith denied Regan Linney after he broke beyond the Town defence.

With 21 played, James Jones opened the scoring for the visitors. The Glovers failed to pick up the towering defender as he headed home the opener.

It took a little bit of time for Yeovil to regroup after the goal. On the half an hour mark, Charlie Cooper turned the ball over high up and fired on-goal straight away, but his effort flew wide via a deflection.

In the dying moments of the half, Cooper tried his luck again. This time from a dead ball, once again his strike flew over.

The second half saw vast improvement from the Glovers, who dominated throughout. Ryan Law was a bright spark on the left hand side, and after he turned the ball over high with just two minutes played in the half, it was a marker of things to come.

Town’s first real opening of the half came when a deep cross from Law found Agbaje, but he couldn’t find the target with his header in the 53rd minute.

Law’s set piece delivery almost proved its worth on the hour mark. Bevan rose highest after the Argyle loanees corner, but a heroic save kept Alty ahead. After recycling the ball, a minute later, Fisher and Edwin Agbjae combined well, but the Glovers’ no.9 saw his shot blocked.

As Yeovil started to turn the screw, chances continued to fall. A fantastic run from D’Ath forced a corner for Town after he drove into the box and fired on goal.

Crosses were a regular route to goal for the Glovers, and a brilliant cross from Jamie Reckord with 63 minutes played was met by Fisher, but another save from the Alty ‘keeper kept them ahead.

With fifteen to go, Yeovil were awarded a penalty after carnage in the penalty box. Altrincham were unable to clear their lines, and a handball on the goal-line saw Town awarded a penalty, and goalscorer James Jones given his marching orders.

Maguire-Drew stepped up from the spot a cooly dispatched his penalty into the top left corner to draw Yeovil level with around 13 minutes of normal time to play.

It was one-way traffic in the final stages, as Yeovil looked to claim a victory to match their second half performance, but in fairness to the depleted visitors, they managed the game well, restricting Town to efforts from distance.

Substitute Jordan Young, along with D’Ath and Maguire-Drew all tried their luck from outside the box in the closing stages, but none could find the target.

Many Yeovil fans would have taken a point against Altrincham before kick-off, but as the final whistle blew, some may have left a little disappointed with just a singular point after watching another spirited performance at Huish Park.

Yeovil Town: Smith; Williams, Bevan, Reckord; Agbaje, Reckord; Cooper (Johnson), Owers (Maguire-Drew), D’Ath; Fisher, Houlden-Palmer (Young)

Bookings: D’Ath, Agbaje

Subs not used: Worthington, Linton