1st April 2023

Yeovil Town were sucked further into the relegation zone after a disappointing performance against an out-of-form Southend United. 

Goals from Jake Hyde and Rhys Murphy with a red card for Miguel Freckleton sandwiched in between condemned Yeovil to successive home defeats. 

After last week’s defeat to Bromley, Mark Cooper would make multiple changes, the notable one being a first start for Scott Pollock who came in for Callum Harriott. Alongside that, we saw a return for Jack Clarke and Jordan Young who came in for Chiori Johnson and Alex Fisher respectively. 

On full debut, Pollock was looking to provide a strong start and should have scored when he found himself through on goal against Collin Andeng Ndi. With all the time in the world, the midfielder could only fire his effort straight at the keeper. 

As the half progressed the away side started to build into the game and were rewarded after a cross into the box fell at the feet of Hyde, who powered his effort past Grant Smith to make it 1-0. 

Buoyed by the goal, Southend were now on top and a good ball to the back-post found an unmarked Harry Cardwell who could only direct his header over the bar. 

Jordan Maguire-Drew looking to weave his usual magic provided a teasing ball to the back post but Andrew Oluwabori couldn’t quite get to it before the defender. 

As the end of the first half approached, Yeovil were starting to put pressure on the Shrimpers. Maguire-Drew’s free kick found Pollock whose header would cannon off the post to the disappointment of the home fans. 

Once again though it was another disappointing first half that left Mark Cooper’s men with all the work to do. 

A nasty collision saw Alex Fisher require urgent assistance on the pitch. He was forced off with a nasty leg injury and we wish him all the best. 

Captain, Josh Staunton was looking to get his team on the front foot and was close to equalising only to see his goal-bound effort clawed away by Andeng Ndi. 

Against the run of play a huge chance fell to Cardwell, but his attempted trivela would fly over the bar. 

Maguire-Drew’s deliveries had caused issues for the Southend defence all game, unfortunately, the finishes just weren’t finding the target. 

Things would go from bad to worse though for Yeovil as Callum Powell was tripped on the edge of the box by the already booked Freckleton, who received his marching orders from the referee. 

The home side kept coming though and Pollock who hadn’t given up yet would persevere to allow himself the opportunity to shoot, only to see his scuffed effort cleared off the line. 

Mark Cooper would hope that the 11 minutes of added time would give his side the impetus they would need to find an equaliser. But, ex-Yeovil striker Murphy would have other ideas after slotting home a rebound following an unbelievable same from Smith. 2-0 and it was game over at Huish Park. 

Next up is a huge away game against an in-form Gateshead side on Tuesday. 

Our thoughts also go out to Fisher who we wish all the best in what looked like a horrible injury. 

Yeovil Town: Smith; Bevan, Staunton, Freckleton; Law, Oluwabori, Cooper, Clarke (Fisher (Hunt)), Maguire-Drew, Pollock; Young (Linton)

Bookings: Freckleton x2, Linton

Subs not used: Reckord, Johnson.