23rd July 2022

Yeovil Town suffered their first defeat of pre-season in a fiercely contested game against  League One opposition Plymouth Argyle.

Matthew Worthington saw red after an altercation with Bali Mumba, following two early second half goals from the Pilgrims which took the game away from Yeovil.

After last week’s 1-1 draw with Exeter City, Yeovil Town remained unchanged with new signing Chiori Johnson making his first official start for the club at right wing back. But the big news of the day was the return of Lawson D’Ath on the bench, who has missed most of pre-season through injury.

Plymouth started the better of the two sides, knocking the ball around neatly without finding any clear openings.

But it was Yeovil who came the closest early on, when Tom Knowles fiercely struck shot from 30 yards out went just wide of Callum Burton’s post on the ten-minute mark.

As the half progressed, Plymouth began to assert themselves and created a huge chance when the ball found its way to striker Ryan Hardie who saw his shot superbly blocked by Max Hunt when he looked destined to score.

A flurry of chances followed for the away side, but Grant Smith and his defence kept them out to cap off a good first half showing.

Their control was eventually rewarded though, when early in the second half Danny Mayor got in behind the Glovers defence before putting it on a plate for Hardie who couldn’t miss.

Yeovil came straight back at them and created an opportunity when Malachi Linton latched onto a loose ball before firing just over the bar.

Unfortunately though it was Plymouth who would add a second on the hour mark as Gillepshey’s powerful strike was palmed by Grant Smith straight to Finn Azaz who placed it into an empty net.

Ollie Hulbert off the bench had a great chance to pull one back as he was sent down the left channel but could only fire across the face of Callum Burton’s goal.

All of a sudden, tensions boiled over following a challenge from Worthington on Mumba, with the latter taking real offence. Players from both teams ran to the scene, before referee; Daniel Lamport produced a red card for the two original offenders.

The game died out with no real chances to report for either side, but a good run out against strong opposition once again for Chris Hargreaves and his team.

​Next up for Yeovil is an away trip to Dorchester Town on Tuesday 26th July, for a 7pm kick off.

Yeovil Town: Smith; Johnson (Trialist), Williams, Staunton, Hunt, Reckord (Trilaist), Perry (Trialist), Worthington, Knowles (Stephens), Fisher (Hulbert), Linton (Wakefield).

By Jacob Jones