19th April 2023

Yeovil Town’s relegation to the National League South was confirmed with a 3-0 defeat to league leaders Wrexham.

After a strong display in the first half, the hosts wore the Glovers down and bagged three second half goals.

This result means Town will play regional football for the first time since the 1990’s next season.

The Green & Whites started well and enjoyed a vast spell of possession in the opening stages, but like the theme of the season, this didn’t translate into any clear cut openings. However, Yeovil did have the first attempt of the half, with Miguel Freckleton turning Charlie Cooper’s corner wide with ten minutes gone.

It took a quarter of an hour for the hosts to put pressure on the Yeovil goal. Andy Cannon was found in space and fired from range, but his strike was wide of the goal.

In what was already a difficult task for Mark Cooper’s men, he was forced into an early change as Owen Bevan was unable to continue after a push from the league’s second top scorer Paul Mullin.

Not looking to get too downtrodden, Matt Worthington was found driving into the box moments after the injury, but Ben Foster was equal to his attempt.

Just three minutes later, the Glovers turned the Red Dragons’ defence again. An excellent driving run from Scott Pollock released Reo Griffiths, but he was unable to find a Yeovil player with his cross.

At the break, Yeovil had more than matched the league leaders, but the scoreline remained level.

However, the second half saw the hosts wear the Glovers down. With an hour played, Anthony Forde capitalised on Pollock’s slip to open the scoring for the hosts.

Wrexham then began to turn on the style, adding a second just 12 minutes later. After pinball in the box and heroic goalkeeping from Will Buse, the ball fell to James Jones who hammered the ball into the back of the net.

Five minutes later, Mullin added a third for the hosts, sending a looping header to the far corner and completing the Wrexham goalscoring.

Late in the day, the Glovers would force Foster into a couple more saves, the first a speculative effort which the former Manchester United man was able to turn wide.

In stoppage time, substitute Chiori Johnson had Yeovil’s best chance of the night. After breaking into the box, the no.17 forced a reflex save from Foster, who was certainly made to work for his clean sheet.

As the final whistle went, there was jubilation in the stands as Wrexham set a record points tally, but in a small corner of the Wrexham Larger Stand, there was a collection of 217 heartbroken souls, who had just seen their side get relegated for the fourth time in less than ten years.

Yeovil Town: Buse; Bevan (Linton), Staunton, Freckleton, Reckord, Oluwabori; Pollock, Worthington, Cooper; Siziba (Young), Griffiths (Johnson).

Bookings: Freckleton, Cooper

Subs not used: Hunt, Smith.