19th October 2022

Yeovil Town fell to a dismal defeat to Taunton Town as they exited the FA Cup at the first hurdle.

In front of a record crowd at Wordsworth Drive, Taunton Town were good value for their victory as the Glovers struggled to make chances.

Despite improvement in the second half, Yeovil did not offer enough as the hosts booked a First Round tie with MK Dons.

Chris Hargreaves made five changes to the side that was held on Saturday afternoon. Max Hunt returned to the defence with Jamie Reckord starting at wing back after recovering from a knee infection. Callum Rowe made his first start since his injury whilst Gime Touré and Alex Fisher led the line.

It was a bright start from the Glovers, who forced the hosts back deep into their own half in the opening exchanges, but the Taunton goal largely remained unchallenged.

This allowed the hosts to grow into the game, looking especially dangerous from set-pieces. It was through that route that they won their chance from the penalty spot, as Chiori Johnson handled the ball inside the box following a well-struck cross. The experienced Lloyd James stepped up and expertly converted with 26 minutes on the clock.

It took until the 30th minute for Yeovil to have a real sight of goal. Fisher was found rushing into the box via Matt Worthington’s cross, but the Glovers’ no.9 headed wide.

Town’s best chance of the first half fell to Chiori Johnson who poked his effort wide with four minutes remaining.

The second half saw improvement from Yeovil, but ultimately not enough to really threaten Jack Bycroft’s clean sheet.

In fact, the best chances of the half actually fell to the hosts, forcing both Josh Staunton & Ben Richards-Everton into goal-line clearances.

Yeovil sent many a searching ball into the box, but Bycroft and the Taunton defence were often able to claim and clear with ease.

It took until the stoppage time for the Glovers to create a clear-cut opening. Substitute Malachi Linton, who looked bright when he came on, did excellently to hold to ball up into Sam Pearson’s path but he blazed his strike over the bar.

Bizarrely, after signalling for five additional minutes, the referee played just three, much to the bemusement of many in the stands, but that should not take away from Taunton’s performance, who duly deserved their passage into the First Round.

Yeovil Town: Smith; Richards-Everton, Staunton, Hunt; Reckord, Johnson, Rowe (Dawes), Worthington, Pearson; Toure (Linton), Fisher (Scrimshaw).

Subs not used: Buse, Williams, Perry.