14th September 2013
Joe Ralls’ second half strike ensured Yeovil Town returned to Somerset with a point.
The Glovers had to come back from a first half Atdhe Nuhiu goal to secure a point away at Sheffield Wednesday .
Town were reduced to ten men just before the break when defender Byron Webster saw red for an altercation on the floor with goalscorer Nuhiu.
A lively opening 15 minutes saw both keepers called into action with Hennessey denying Nuhiu and Chris Kirkland denying both Ed Upson and James Hayter.
Just after the 20 minute mark neat link up play between Williams and Hayter saw the ball placed nicely in the path of Ralls but his powerful volley was well saved by Kirkland.
Seconds later the hosts took the lead in controversial circumstances. With assistant Cook flagging for offside referee Eltringham waved play on. Antonio ran clear and squared the ball to the unmarked Nuhiu, who had an easy tap in from close range. Despite the protests from the Yeovil Town players and long discussions from Cook and Eltringham the goal was allowed to stand.
Wednesday keeper Kirkland was the busier of the two shot stoppers and was on hand to keep the hosts in the lead. This time a cross from the right was met by Williams but his header was kept out the former England stopper.
On 40 minutes Webster saw red for a tussle on the floor with Nuhiu. With Webster receiving his marching orders manager Gary Johnson replaced striker James Hayter with new loan signing Liam Fontaine.
Right on the half time whistle an Upson free kick was well saved by Kirkland, who tipped the ball around the post.
It was the hosts who had the first chance of the second half when goal scorer Nuhiu’s curling effort from 20 yards went just over the Yeovil crossbar.
Ten minutes into the second half Yeovil forced their first corner when a goal bound shot from Ralls was headed over. From the resulting corner McAllister’s shot was well blocked, which resulted in a quick break by the hosts but Town managed to get back in numbers to clear any danger.
On 64 minutes the Glovers equalised when loanee Ralls chest and left footed volley from inside the area went past the diving Kirkland and into the far corner.
The hosts thought they had regained the lead when an Antonio shot somehow managed to squeeze under Hennessey, but the goalkeeper was saved of any embarrassment when the ball hit the post and back into his hands.
Despite being a man down the Glovers defended their goal well to secure a well earned point in South Yorkshire.