21st November 2015

Yeovil Town headed to Wales to take on Newport County and returned back over the bridge with a point following a 0-0 draw at Rodney Parade.

Town manager Paul Sturrock named new signing Francois Zoko in his starting eleven. He also welcomed back to the bench Josh Sheehan and George Thomas back into the squad after their international duties with Wales.

Town started the game brightly and could have found themselves a goal up after just three minutes when Harry Cornick’s header from a Matty Dolan free-kick came back off the cross bar with keeper Day beaten.

Just two minutes later and at the other end Newport broke quickly from a Town attack, but Ansah’s shot was well blocked by Roberts just inside the area.

On twenty minutes and with the home side having more possession Town had Lacey to thank for a well timed block to deny Rodman.

Second later the home side had a very strong penalty claims waved away by referee Heywood. Striker Ansah managed to wiggle his way through the Town defence only to appear to be fouled by Weale, but referee Heywood gave the Glovers a free-kick, much to the dismay of the home fans.

New signing Zoko started to get himself into the game and was linking up well with Bird with some intelligent passes through the back line of Newport.

With five minutes of the first half remaining the home side had their best chance of the half when Rodman latched onto a neat through ball, but Weale was quick off his line to make a good save with his left foot.

Zoko nearly opened his Town account right on half time when he met a great Roberts cross with his head, only to see his effort go over the bar.

Two minutes into the second half Bird created room for himself in the area to unleash a right footed volley at goal, but with Day scrambling the shot went wide.

At the other end Weale was called into action to make a superb save at point blank range to deny Barrow a certain goal.

With the home side enjoying the majority of the play the home side’s skipper Byrne had a shot from just outside the area. With Weale scrambling across his goal, Byrne’s shot curled wide of the target and out for a goal kick.

Weale was again called into action from a Newport corner when he got down low to deny Barrow a certain goal. Barrow’s run was found from the corner and his touch was goal bound before Weale got down low to right to get a firm hand on the ball to deny the hosts.

Cornick nearly opened the scoring with just over five minutes remaining when he met a Tozer cross with his head, only to see Day deny him with a fine finger tip save.