16th January 2016

Town made the near 550-mile round trip to face Morecambe at a cold Globe Arena and returned to Somerset empty handed following a 2-1 defeat.

Despite taking the lead in the second half thanks to Darren Ward the home side scored twice to secure all three points for the Shrimpers.

Darren Way made on change following the 2-2 draw against Carlisle United at Blackpool. Striker Shaun Jeffers was recalled to replaced loanee Tahvon Campbell.

The game started in heavy snow and just before kick off the ground staff had to brush the lines to make them visable.

Town came flying out the traps with Zoko forcing an early corner and Jack Compton forcing an early save from goalkeeper Barry Roache.

Following the bright start Town were awarded a penalty in the eighth minute. A foul in the area on Jeffers by Morecambe captain Adam Dugdale gave the referee no option but to point to the spot. Midfielder Matty Dolan stepped up, but his spot kick was well saved by Roche, who guessed the right way to tip the ball around the post.

With 25 minutes on the clock the home side had keeper Roche to thank for keeping the score level. Good link up play between Zoko and Jeffers saw the former Newport man unleash a shot from 25-yards, but his effort was tipped wide by the Morecambe shot stopper.

At the other end and just two minutes later Morecambe struck the upright. Midfielder Wildig managed to wriggle free to fire a shot at goal, only to see his effort bound off the base of the post and out for a goal kick.

Town were the better side and kept looking for the opening goal of the day. On 40 minutes Compton’s run on the right was well found by Walsh, but as the former Hartlepool man tricked his way past his marker to fire at goal, his shot was well parried away by Roche.

The home side had the ball in the net just before the half time break when Kevin Ellison tapped home from close range, only to see the referee’s assistant had raised his flag to chalk off the goal.

Ten minutes into the second half the home side could have opening the scoring when Shaun Miller found himself in a one-on-one with Krysiak, and the big shot stopper stood tall and denied the Shrimpers a certain goal.

Moments later Ellison again had the ball in the net from a rebound, but once again he was denied by the offside flag.

During the melee in the Town area striker Zoko went to ground in an off the ball incident, which everyone seemed to miss that saw the Frechman receive treatment on a cut mouth.

Town took the lead just before the 70-minute mark. A superb run from Zoko saw him get a shot away, only to be denied by Roche, who saved with his feet. From the resulting Compton corner keeper Roche somehow missed the cross and the ball fell to skipper Ward, who tapped home from close range.

Four minutes later the home side equalized. From a free kick in their own half the home side drilled the ball into the Town area and with the Glovers only half clearing the ball fell to Elliison, who turned well to fire past Krysiak from 12 yards out.

With ten minutes remaining the home side made it 2-1 when Miller cut in from the wing to curl his effort past Krysiak and into the top corner.

Town almost drew level straight away when sub Allen beat his marker in the area to shot across Roche, but his effort came back off the post. Zoko was quickest to react, but his shot was well blocked on the line by the Morecambe defence.

With five minutes signaled by the fourth official Town could have levelled the scores when a deep Roberts cross fell to the feet of Allen, but his effort sailed over the bar.