4th April 2023

Yeovil Town fell to a damaging 4-0 defeat to FA Trophy finalists Gateshead.

Two goals from Marcus Dinanga in the first half built a comfortable lead, which was added to by Connor Pani and substitute Owen Bailey to secure a well-earned three points for the hosts.

In truth, the Glovers never really looked like scoring in what was another flat performance.

Mark Cooper was able to call upon Matt Worthington once again after his suspension came to an end. Jamie Reckord and Max Hunt also returned after injuries.

The Glovers started the game on the front foot and had the first effort of the game with four on the clock. Matt Worthington and Andrew Oluwabori combined, but his shot was blocked at the edge of the box.

Two minutes later, Scott Pollock worked room down the right flank and forced a last-ditch clearance for a corner.

At the other end, Gateshead began to grow in confidence as they got more of the ball. With 18 played, Grant Smith was caught in no-mans-land, but Hunt was there to clear off the line!

However just a minute later, Gateshead did take the lead. Dinanga worked room in the left channel and slammed the ball beyond Smith to hand the hosts the advantage.

One quickly became two for Heed. Eight minutes later, Dinanga was found free in the box by Gateshead skipper Greg Olley to head home the hosts’ second.

Despite the two-goal advantage, Town did start to fight, pressing Gateshead, forcing turnovers high up the pitch which led to nothing.

The second half saw Yeovil start with intent, but no incisiveness. Town’s best chances in the opening stages saw Charlie Cooper have his strike turned wide for a corner, followed by Josh Staunton heading wide from a C.Cooper free-kick.

Killing the game, Gateshead deservedly made it three with ten minutes of the half played. Heed academy graduate Pani found himself in space and found the top corner with a fantastic strike.

Further chances did fall for Yeovil, the best to substitute Zanda Siziba who broke into the Gateshead box, but he put far too much power on his strike.

As the game entered it’s closing stages, a special mention needs to be made to the loyal Yeovil fans which travelled to Gateshead, and kept making noise until the final-whistle.

Adding icing on the cake, substitute Owen Bailey completed the rout with a poked finish beyond Smith and compile the misery on the Glovers.

Yeovil Town will now need to dust themselves down ahead of a trip to Aldershot on Good Friday.

Yeovil Town: Smith; Reckord, Hunt (Siziba), Staunton, Bevan; Cooper (Maguire-Drew), Clarke (Linton), Worthington, Pollock, Young; Oluwabori

Subs not used: Law, Johnson.