4th October 2022

Yeovil Town were pegged back once again as the drew 1-1 at Dorking Wanderers.

Sam Pearson got the Glovers off to a superb start scoring in the fourth minute, but the hosts levelled in the second half after sustained pressure.

In the closing stages, Town struggled to create clear-cut chances as they were held to a seventh draw of the campaign.

Chris Hargreaves made four changes to the side which fell to a defeat at Southend. Grant Smith retained his place in goal, whilst Max Hunt returned to the defence alongside Owen Bevan and captain Josh Staunton. Morgan Williams and Chiori Johnson began in the wing back roles.

The midfield pairing was made up of Lawson D’Ath and Matt Worthington whilst Will Dawes made his first start in the front three alongside Malachi Linton and Pearson.

Chris Hargreaves would have been hoping for a fast start from his side, and he certainly got that after Bristol City loanee Pearson struck the Glovers ahead. Making the most of his excellent run, he finished superbly with just four minutes played.

Town continued to work hard in the opening stages, pressing high and looking to force the hosts into mistakes.

At the other end, it took a little while for Dorking to get going. Their first real chance fell to James McShane with 18 played. The Dorking no.11 forced a last-gasp clearance from Staunton following a goalmouth scramble.

Chances started to dry up, as both sides were seemingly content on counter-attacking the other, with both keepers ultimately having little to do throughout the first half.

Dorking struck the bar in the closing stages of the half, more out of luck than judgement after a hopeful ball caused havoc in the Yeovil box, but a combination of Smith and the Yeovil defenders saw the danger averted.

Looking for a way back into the game before the break, the hosts upped their pressure, but were unable to find a way beyond Smith with the Glovers going into the break ahead.

It didn’t take long for the hosts to level in the second half. With just seven minutes played, Jimmy Muitt turned the ball home after Hargreaves’ side failed to clear their lines.

As the half grew on, Smith was the busier goalkeeper but Dan Lincoln made the biggest save, denying Pearson his second of the game after his header looked destined for the back of the net.

The returning Linton had chances too, but he struggled to test Lincoln in the Dorking net.

At the other end, Dorking created chances, often testing Smith from distance, but ultimately it finished level as the Glovers surrendered the lead for the eighth time this season.

Yeovil Town: Smith; Staunton, Bevan, Hunt; Williams, Johnson; D’Ath, Worthington; Pearson, Dawes, Linton.

Bookings: Johnson, Staunton

Subs not used: Haste, Scrimshaw.