28th January 2023

Yeovil Town earned their first away victory of the season with a 2-0 win over Dagenham & Redbridge.

Matt Worthington was the man of the moment, winning a penalty, which was converted by Jordan Maguire-Drew, and then scoring a late wonder strike to seal the result.

It was a much needed victory for Town, who were good value for all three points.

With two weeks to stew on the Glovers’ defeat to Bromley, Mark Cooper opted for a change of system against the Daggers. Grant Smith remained in goal, whilst Jamie Reckord, Josh Staunton, Owen Bevan and Morgan Williams began in a back four.

Yeovil began with midfield three comprised of Charlie Cooper, Worthington and Jack Clarke and ahead of them started Maguire-Drew, Andrew Oluwabori and Jordan Young.

The opening stages saw an even opening, with both sides looking to gain a foothold on the match.

Town’s first chance fell with nine minutes played. Maguire-Drew forced a save from Elliot Justham after being found by Worthington, but the linesman had his flag up for offside.

At the other end, Josh Walker was a bright spark for the hosts, and he dragged an effort wide after sneaking away from his marker with 15 played.

After Dagenham were forced into a change after an injury to Sam Ling, Yeovil started to stamp some authority on the game. In the 20th minute, Oluwabori was picked out after a switch of play, he fired on goal but his effort was well held by Justham.

Yeovil enjoyed vast spells of possession in the Dagenham half, and with 30 minutes played they earned a chance from the spot. Worthington was hauled down in the area, and with Harry Phipps given his marching orders, Maguire-Drew fired the misery compiler to put Town in front.

In fairness to Dagenham, they responded well to going a goal and a man down, with pressure applied on Smith’s goal before the interval.

Moments after the break, Oluwabori missed a golden opportunity to add Yeovil’s second. He was found by Maguire-Drew and after bursting through to the goalkeeper, could only poke his effort wide.

Bevan, who had been fantastic at the back all afternoon, was the next to go close, but his header was tame on the hour mark.

Not giving up hope, the Daggers dug deep, and went close through substitute Paul McCallum and Junior Morias, but last ditch defending kept Town in front.

With ten to play, Worthington took the onus upon himself, sending a thunderous strike into the top corner to seal three points on the road for Yeovil Town.

As the full-time whistle blew, the Glovers were serenaded by a travelling support of just shy of 200, who have been patient for such a moment on the road.

Next up, is a home clash against Wealdstone on Tuesday evening.

Yeovil Town: Smith; Reckord, Staunton, Bevan, Williams; Cooper (Agbaje), Worthington, Clarke (D’Ath); Oluwabori, Maguire-Drew, Young (Fisher).

Bookings: Bevan, Williams, Staunton, Reckord

Subs not used: Wakefield, Richards-Everton