10th February 2015

After the victory over Crawley Town on Saturday, Town travelled to Crewe to try and close the gap between the two clubs at the bottom of League One.

A first half goal from Nicky Ajose was enough give the home side all three points despite Town dominating large periods of play at Gresty Road.

Terry Skiverton named the same starting eleven that beat Crawley Town on Saturday afternoon. The only change came on the bench with James Berrett replacing the injured Fergus Bell.

The home side started the brighter of the two teams but failed to test Krysiak in the Town goal in the opening exchanges.

Town’s first chance of the evening fell to Ugwu after 25 minutes. Captain Edwards picked up the ball on the half way line and surged forward with great intent. His pass found Hayter just inside the area, the former Doncaster man found Leitch-Smith on the right and as his cross made it’s way to Ugwu in the area the assistants flag was raised.

Despite Town having the majority of the play in the first half they found themselves a goal down after 38 minutes.

As Marcus Hayber took on Kieffer Moore on the right wing Ajose was being tracked by two Town defenders, but Hayber’s cross was pinpoint and the Leeds United loanee slammed the ball home from close range.

Town were forced to make their first substitution at half time when James Berrett entered the action in the place of skipper Edwards.

With the substitution came a formation change with Moore moving from centre back to up front alongside Ugwu.

On the hour mark Leitch-Smith stung the palms of keeper Garratt form 25-yards, but the keeper gathered the former Crewe man’s shot at the second attempt.

At the other end Town had Nugent to thank for keeping the score at 1-0 when he bravely blocked a goal bound shot from Jamie Ness

With less than ten minutes to play the home side could have scored two goals in as many minutes. Leeds loanee Ajose first hit the post when clean through and just moments later with Town pressing for the equaliser the striker broke free again but somehow put his shot wide of the target.

With the game flowing from end-to-end in the dying minutes Town couldn’t get the equaliser to return to Somerset with a point.