2nd September 2017

Having been on the back foot in the opening exchanges, the Reds capitalised on a mistake after 12 minutes to take the lead through Jordan Roberts. 

Taking the lead into the break the home side doubled their advantage six minutes after the restart, with Roberts adding a second.

Town hit the bar in the closing stages but couldn’t find a way to avoid a third away defeat in a disappointing afternoon at the Checkatrade.com Stadium.

Darren Way made four changes from the side that comfortably beat Exeter City in Checkatrade Trophy action on Tuesday night.

Naming the same 11 that saw off Coventry 2-0 a week previous in League Two, Connor Smith and top scorer Olufela Olomola recovered from knocks to feature in West Sussex. 

Continuing Town’s prolific strike partnership, Francois Zoko came back in having been rested in midweek to partner four-goal man Olomola.

Having helped to keep a cleansheet against the Sky Blues, Sid Nelson and Ryan Dickson came back in for Dan Alfei and Tom James to complete the alterations.

Looking to record a third straight victory the Glovers began in confident manner, testing the Reds’ defence early on. 

Otis Khan’s strong running created space for both Olomola and Zoko inside the opening 10 minutes, but neither of Town’s frontline could pick out a team-mate in the middle. 

Having been penned back early on, Harry Kewell’s side burst into life and soon broke the deadlock.

After Artur Krysiak raced from his line to brilliantly deny Enzio Boldewijn, Roberts gave Crawley the lead just 60 seconds later.

Home captain Jimmy Smith won back possession on the edge of Town’s box and teed up the former Inverness Caledonian Thistle striker who dispatched from the edge of the box. 

The opener only encouraged the Reds who continued to enjoy a spell of pressure, with a superb Nelson block stopping Roberts doubling the hosts’ advantage and comfortable Krysiak save denying Smith’s long range effort.

Despite an end-to-end opening to the first 45 minutes of action the game flattered to deceive up to half-time, with the encounter becoming a stop-start affair.

Nelson had a header tipped onto the bar by home stopper Glenn Morris before the linesman’s flag went up for offside in a half of few chances.

With the break approaching Bevis Mugabi volleyed Khan’s corner wide before the right-back’s wayward long range strike proved to be the final act of a tame half.

In a bid to get back into the game Jake Gray replaced Connor Smith for the second 45, but before the energetic midfielder could influence proceedings Crawley doubled their lead.

A ball over the top caught Town’s defence on their heels and allowed Boldewijn to race through on goal, selflessly squaring for Roberts who doubled his tally for the afternoon.

Looking to confirm back-to-back league wins the hosts missed a gilt-edged chance as the game ticked past the hour mark, as Smith somehow blazed over the bar from a yard out.

Instead of finding themselves 3-0 up Kewell’s side almost had their lead halved, as Morris reacted quickly to save Nathan Smith’s header with his feet. 

Sensing a swing in momentum Jordan Green replaced Olomola to add fresh legs up front, and the lively attacker further sparked the Glovers into life in the final third.

With 72 minutes on the clock Zoko’s looping header came back off the bar sparking a goalmouth scramble, before Green slammed an effort into the side netting from the angle inside the final 10 minutes.

Despite plenty of attacking endeavour home ‘keeper Morris remained largely untested and the Glovers succumbed to their first defeat in three. 

Crawley Town: Morris, Young, Yorwerth, Lelan, Evina, Camara (Meite 70’), Bulman, Smith, Cox (Payne 86’), Roberts (Lewis 80’), Boldewijn.
Bookings: Young 26’, Smith 30’, Bullman 61’, Meite 88’
Subs not used: Mersin, McNerney, Djalo, Tajbakash.

Yeovil Town: Krysiak, Mugabi, Nelson, N. Smith, Dickson, Browne (Surridge 75’), Bailey, C. Smith (Gray 45’), Khan, Zoko, Olomola (Green 64’).
Bookings: Nelson 17’, Khan 60’, N. Smith 68’
Subs not used: Maddison, Davies, James, Santos.

Attendance: 2,024 (222 Yeovil fans)